LAB 8 - Task 2.4 IGP Redistribution - wording confusion !

Hi,

I am confused regarding the wording in the workbook and afterwards with the solution provided in SG.

Workbook :

2.4 IGP Redistribution
• Redistribute between RIP and EIGRP on R5.
• Redistribute between OSPF and EIGRP on R1 and R3.
• Eliminate any IGP issues preventing full reachability.

So the tasks says to do a mutual redistribution on R1 and R3 but in the SG I find that R3 is chosen as the "point of redistribution" - mutual redistribution- and on R1 only one way redistribution is performed.

Well, this is my question :

Shouldn't we do implement what the question is asking for (mutual redistribution on both routers ) and afterwards try to mitigate all problems that appear - bullet 3 ?

Thanks,

Ciprian.

Comments

• Hi,

As per the diagram, R1 has only the OSPF area 38 configured and it is to be configured as stub.  So, its not necessary to redistribute EIGRP into OSPF because we can have a default route into the area 38.  Routers in this area can reach the outside network via the default route.

Hope this helps!

• Hi Hari,

Thanks for your answer.

I am not having a problem understanding why this is being configured this way, I understand the stub behaviour, I am asking about task wording interpretation. In other words, if the task says to redistribute mutually on both routers, why not do it, and solve the design afterwards.

It seems to me that basically the SG chosen the best way - as in real world - solution, not what the task asked for !

So, as a rule for me, should I choose best design configuration or stick to what I'm asked for and afterwards, if problems occur, try to fix them by not brakeing connectivity or other dependencies ?

Thank for your advice,

Ciprian.

• So, as a rule for me, should I choose best design configuration or stick to what I'm asked for and afterwards, if problems occur, try to fix them by not brakeing connectivity or other dependencies ?

I think there are two school of thoughts here:

- there are people who like to configure things as mentioned in the task without reading further down the road

- there are people who like to skim through the entire exam and see what configurations on one section have impact on other sections.

I, myself, prefer the latter as it avoids you over-configuring something and then have to basically re-do the other task to meet the requirements of later task

Just my 2 cents...

• Hi Ciprian,

Yes, your understanding is correct. You can have mutual redistribution in such a scenario because you have not been told to avoid any kind of unnecessary config/redistribution. In this case we don't require the redistribution as discussed, but I think it doesn't harm your configuration even if you configure it.

Good luck!

• Thank you for your input.

Reading full lab prior to beginning configuration it's a very good point.

Thank you,

Ciprian.

• Hi Hari,

thank you for your confirmation, very much appreciate it !

Ciprian.

• Hi Hari,

Thank you very much for your confirmation, very much appreciated.

Ciprian.

• Thank you for your input.

Reading full lab prior to beginning configuration it's a very good point.

Thank you,

Ciprian.

It is definitely a wise choice.

Good luck with your studies!