PSTN Router and PVDM

Hi,

in my lab i have my pstn router with a nm with a vic2 and another pri card in a wic slot.

All pvdm are in the nm. Can i use them and share for the wic pri in the chassis?

Thansk

smaikol

Comments

• Smaikol,

You should be able to setup dsp sharing or dsp pooling on the voice-card within the NM to allow this.  By default it is disabled.

command is dspfarm on older IOS under the Voice-card and then dsp tdm pooling on newer IOS under the voice-card.

Here is a blurp from the 2800 and 3800 guide:

When one IP Communications High-Density Digital Voice/Fax Network Module does not have enough DSP resources, it can use DSPs from other NM-HDV2s on the same router, or DSPs available on the motherboard of the Cisco 2800 series and Cisco 3800 series Integrated Services Routers. This is referred to as DSP sharing. By default, the NM-HDV2s and the onboard PVDM2 DSPs on the Cisco 2800s and Cisco 3800s are configured for "no sharing," and must be turned on to share or export their resources. An NM-HDV2 that needs to import DSPs does not need any special configuration.

Source: 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2617/products_configuration_example09186a008052c940.shtml#b3

Thanks

Aaron

• Smaikol,

You just need to do this:

voice-card x

dspfarm

dsp tdm pooling

Only note that you can't share resources like that if you have different types of PVDM versions (for example PVDM2 with a newer PVDM3)

• Thanks all,

for my pstn router only old pvdm in an nm-hdv module. i hope it works.

smaikol

• Looks like its not working.

My situation is:

NM-HDV , 5xpvdm12 , VWIC2-2T1E1, that is ok.

On WIC 0 slot, VWIC2-2T1E1. No pvdm onboard in the 2811.

dsp tdm pooling not working ( think it only works for pvdm2 and above... )

Is there any way to use the pvdm in the nm for one of the T1E1 port in the wic slot ?

I'll use 5 channel each port both T1 and E1.

No way to accomplish this ? Do i have to allocate full dsp pvdm for all the channels ?

Thanks

smaikol

• For some reason, and this is just something in the back of my head, I don't think u can share PVDM (series 1) from the NM back to slot 0.  If nothing else than for the considerable difference between the config commands used in configuring pvdm2 vs PVDM, go spend the $40 and pick up a PVDM2-32 off eBay / amazon. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 4, 2013, at 1:46 PM, smaikol <[email protected]> wrote:

Looks like its not working.

My situation is:

NM-HDV , 5xpvdm12 , VWIC2-2T1E1, that is ok.

On WIC 0 slot, VWIC2-2T1E1. No pvdm onboard in the 2811.

dsp tdm pooling not working ( think it only works for pvdm2 and above... )

Is there any way to use the pvdm in the nm for one of the T1E1 port in the wic slot ?

I'll use 5 channel each port both T1 and E1.

No way to accomplish this ? Do i have to allocate full dsp pvdm for all the channels ?

Thanks

smaikol

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • Michael is right. You cannot share the NM DSP for slot0 PRI. I have seen it can be used to create DSP features like conferencing or Xcoding - but not for other PRI to be attached with.

You must need PVDM in PVDM slots.