Role Based Addressing

While studying "Designing Cisco Network Service Architectures (ARCH) Foundation Learning Guide", I came across Role Based Addressing. Could you friends please help me understand this. Would appreciate if could get me some links too to understand.

Why Role Based Addressing is not effective in IPv6 as against IPv4?

Comments

• Hi,

I have to admit that in a first instance I don't figured out what role based addressing is... but the 1st link in a google search pointed me to a good white paper.

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/security/intelligence/security-for-ip-addr.html

The main objective is create an consistent addressing plan to facilitate the construction of ACLs, sub/supernets, management protection, QoS, etc. Without this kind of planning in your design it will not scale and you will lost the control of your network.

For example, In an SP environment, tipically you have loopbacks, core facing links, edge interfaces addressing ranges and couple others. In a enterprise enviroument you can have another set of resources, for example: Loopback, Wan links, DC Space, Users Space, Guest Access, Extranet, ...  

A good IPv4 addressing plan is important in IPv4 world... In IPv6 it is mandatory.

Hope that you find this useful.

[]'s,

Kratz

table { }td { padding: 0px; color: black; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }.xl65 { }

• Well said.  I will add that you IP address design will depend on what your emphasis is on.  The above examples are from the security perspective, and use network equiplment to do security.  I always try to remember that IP is a routed protocol, and thus one should remember what the addresses are really used for.

First, IP address are really binary.  We just use the dotted decimal representation to make them easier to talk about and remember.  Second, without a netmask the ip number means nothing.  Routers look at the IP address to find the network address and then route packets accordingly.  This is why most of the time IP address design is linked to physical layout of the network.  It makes the routing tables smaller and summarization easier.

Having said that, one usually has to work with what is already in place.  We rarely get to redesign IP addressing on a large scale.  People do not like change.