help needed: compact flash replacement

I have an 1841 with a 32MB flash card installed  which contains the IOS.

i have replacement compatible 64MB flash card.

problem i have is, how do i replace it ?

the slot says -- 'do not remove card during network operation' -- i am assuming not to remove it when it is on.

but if i replace it when turned off -- it wont have any IOS image to boot from.

Please help!

Comments

• Hi, I did not try, but one possible solution is put the IOS in a flashdrive, then change the system boot to the IOS into flashdrive. then reboot the router ( which is now looking for IOS in usbflash0:) then you replace the card with 64MB, then change system boot again. You can also configure another router as tftp server, then you change the system boot pointing to the router.

• hi allyson,  ill try that next time, always wanted to play about with the usb.

on this occaision, i ignored the warning and just did a hot swap , seemed to work fine,  i then formatted it and stuck my IOS in it .

the documentation isn't too  clear on how to upgrade compact flash.

• I had to do the same with my 1841. 
    Followed the same process - no issues. 

I guessed that once the iOS is loaded on the router, the flash isn't really needed. 

Replaced, formatted, tftp'd new code on to new flash. 

Sent from my iPhone5

On 20 Aug 2013, at 16:20, sylhet2011 <[email protected]> wrote:

hi allyson,  ill try that next time, always wanted to play about with the usb.

on this occaision, i ignored the warning and just did a hot swap , seemed to work fine,  i then formatted it and stuck my IOS in it .

the documentation isn't too  clear on how to upgrade compact flash.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com