Google Outage yesterday = -40% global traffic

Interesting how times have changed.  It used to be,  "Hey the Internet is down (uhhh....because my email is not working)".  Now Google up/down is the test.  ;-)

ARTICLE

Google outage reportedly caused big drop in global traffic - cnet

Most
Google services, including search, were down for a few minutes Friday,
prompting much of the Internet to start the weekend early...and then
quickly change its mind.

For a very brief few minutes on Friday you may have noticed some Google
services, most notably search, appeared to be down. If not, maybe you
noticed the ensuing freak-out across Twitter and the rest of the Internet....

...As it turns out though, Google's downtime did appear to have global, measurable repercussions, according to analytics firm GoSquared, which estimates that it caused a 40 percent drop in global traffic during a five-minute window...

...according to a Google status page was between 1 and 5 minutes.  In related news, Bing and Yahoo still exist, but apparently failed to
find a way to target their marketing to Google users during the outage.

Comments

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

Another article - news.sky.com

http://news.sky.com/story/1129847/google-outage-internet-traffic-plunges-40-percent

Digital expert Phil Dearson, head of strategy for Tribal Worldwide,
    said the black-out had cost Google an estimated $500,000 (£330,000) just
    in the few minutes it was down.

"This is completely unprecedented, I've never heard of anything like this before," he told Sky News Online.

"One or two of Google's services have gone down in the past, like Gmail and Google Apps, but they both happened separately.

"It's a massive surprise for all of Google's services to go down at the same time.

"It's probably a physical infrastructure problem given the size of the outage, but it's hard to know at this stage."

Neil McAllister, a writer for website The Register, said: "Exactly how
    an operation like Google's can even go dark like that, all at once, is
    anybody's guess..."

• That kind shows Google's importance to the Internet...

I have seen the problem yesterday, youtube went down as well.

• Amazingly, I actually got this info from our techs (and higher-ups) indicating that this was a problem on *our* network.

I think it shows less about how important that google is, though, and more about how behaviour driven internet usage is - the internet has basically become like TV, and people only care about their favorite "shows."  Apparently, for a majority of people, gmail, youtube, google search, and facebook = "The Internet" - or at least some permutation of those.  Maybe add in netflix, twitter and blogspot.  No sanity checking - if these sites aren't available, The Internet is down.

IIRC, a couple years ago there was an apri fools joke, or maybe just a snarky blog post, where an ISP was supposedly doing the internet cable channel style, meaning there has a base package that includes, say, wikipedia, facebook, and myspace.  For $10 more a month you could add google, etc.  I wonder how many folks would bite if they could save a few bux a month.

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

Amazon went down for 30 minutes this morning - cnbc

That would be my wife's alarm that the Internet was down.  "Internet must be down.  I can't buy stuff."     (joking)