Any one else going to the lab in 3-4 months

My first lab attempt is in 93 days. I'm looking for someone in a similar situation to exchange emails with and prepare with. I did this before my R/S exam and it helped a lot with staying motivated.

I spend my weekdays reading, watching videos and doing some speedwork on the racks while doing my full labs on Sundays.

Comments

• Hi

I have my lab scheduled end august

Regards

Shabbar

To: [email protected]
    Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 05:47:05 -0700
    Subject: [CCIE Voice General] Any one else going to the lab in 3-4 months

My first lab attempt is in 93 days. I'm looking for someone in a similar situation to exchange emails with and prepare with. I did this before my R/S exam and it helped a lot with staying motivated.

I spend my weekdays reading, watching videos and doing some speedwork on the racks while doing my full labs on Sundays.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

•     I'm kinda thinking this is a great forum for that already.  It may help others to frame out some things as we work through. 
       I have my attempt first part of November.  I personally need to work on SIP nuances and tshooting, ios commands (not having to look up dspfarm configuration sequences) and troubleshooting speed, uccx, and overall speeeeed!!   
        I've got a project that I have 4 hours of drive time per day, so I'm listening to the vol 1 videos on my drive.  I'm picking up some good trigger points and reminders of where I need to focus some training.  
         I'm trying to get a 'one day per weekend' routine of doing labs, but am having a heck of a time with coordinating that with 3 small kids. 

I just scorched my routers and switches to set a base config to get ready to make the push!!

If you'd rather keep it out of band, I'm good with that too.  Let me know. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 27, 2013, at 8:47 AM, jgmitchell <[email protected]> wrote:

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • Hi Shabbar,

What are you working on right now? I'm working on whole labs, filling the gaps on technologies where I am weakest, which changes from day to day for me.

• Hi Michael,

I thoroughly understand your situation. I have a 6yo and 3yo. It is tough, but I spend Sundays in the corner of the living room studying. I figure if I can work through a lab with the two of them, my wife and a dog doing their thing nearby, I'll have the mental strength when I get to the real lab again.

I don't mind using the forum and I'm not trying to take people away from here. I just know when you get to a certain point in your lab studies and your date is approaching, it is very different than someone who is studying for the lab but doesn't actually have a date scheduled. At least it is for me.

• Ha, throw a 5 year old in the mix and we have damn near the same situation!!  I hear you on the communication spec and can't say I disagree.  I'm good with getting a private distro list together if there's a few people...or individual if that makes more sense.  

• When I was studying for my R&S exam I was super lucky, I lived 5 minutes from my office and was able to spend all day Sunday in there uninterrupted. The family would bring me lunch which was a nice break and then I would go home when my lab time was up.

Anyway, what I'm working on right now: rewatching all the deep dive videos and getting my default configurations down pat. I'm doing this a few different ways. I use Evernote to keep notes and take screenshots that I try to review after the fact to refresh my memory. Sometimes this works really well, sometimes, I look at what I typed and I can't decipher it. [:O] I write on my whiteboard a lot while I am studying and take pictures of it as well to throw in my notes.

I use Anki to create flashcards to review the little tidbits that the CCIE exam is filled with. I've tried putting long configurations in it to see if I can recall extended/complicated things. I honestly review these very little but I find great value in creating them. I have 125 cards at the moment covering a variety of topics. I need to do a better job of organizing and reviewing them.

I also have a composition book of notes from bootcamp last year and all the videos I have watched in the past. These days it is mostly a journal I jot things down in after a lab or watching videos so it stays with me.

The thing that scares me most about the lab at this point is troubleshooting. I know enough debugs from work and studying but I feel this is my weakest area at the moment. These are the gaps I want to fill in, like if problem X is occuring, I need to look at commands 1 2 and 3, and look for such and such. This is one of the things that helped me with R&S. I would configure something, look at all the show and debug commands related it to, then change something and see how it affected it. Sadly, I'm not sure how to do this with the voice lab. [:(] If you can troubleshoot something, you really know it and should be able to configure it with no problem.

I'll leave my email (jgmitchell at gmail dot com) but I will keep posting here too. Anyone should feel free to email me.