VOL2 TS1

Guys,

I was doing the VOL2 TS1 when I've seen the question below :

Resolve the problem preventing R4 from reaching SW2 over the shortestpath

R4 couldn't reach SW4 and be ospf neighbor , because the dead interval was different. 

On R4 was non-default " dead-interval 41" 

I fixed the problem  just adding the same dead interval on SW4, but when I checked the answer, the workbook have fixed taking off the dead interval from R4 and make the default timers.

So, my question is, It could be a problem on the LAB Exam ? I fixed using the one way and the answer is different, but its working.

Comments

• So, my question is, It could be a problem on the LAB Exam ? I fixed using the one way and the answer is different, but its working.

I think your solution should be okay. In the lab exam, I believe the restriction is clearer. As long as you don't break the restriction, your solution should be acceptable. In any doubt, you should clarify with the proctor. 

Happy studying! [B]

• Renato,

I want to reply to your posting because I am in the same boat with perfecting my approach and being able to decypher what's right and wrong (what's safe and not safe).

Your fix is valid because it solves the goal of the ticket. INE's solution is to simply restore the default OSPF timers by removing the command. Remember that by removing the command, the default command is reapplied implicitly. This is the same as applying 'ip ospf dead-interval 40" which just so happens to be the default and therefore not viewable on the configuration.  There are good ways to solve the problem and there are best ways to solve the problem in troubleshooting. You'll explore best ways to solve the problem and realize the goal that INE and the CCIE has set in front of you. You are correct to make configuration change to solve the issue. I would consider that to be a good answer. However, if you look around the OSPF domain more, you'll see that all links are set to default OSPF timers. Therefore, (in my opinion), it's best to resolve that ticket by restoring the default OSPF timers on the interface which is to remove the custom configuration. This realigns the interface with the standard set by the other interfaces in the OSPF domain.

I want you to see that simply removing the error is
    different than fixing the problem. In this case, removing the command brings back the correct command so the removal approach is valid. Most of the time, removing the
    configuration that is preventing normal operation from occurring is not
    considered solving the problem. For instance, a L2 VACL is blocking OSPF from forming an adjacency. The valid solution would be to add OSPF to the VACL, not to remove the VACL itself. This approache strengthens your knowledge on VACLs. Anyone can remove security configuration to get something to work. It's solving the ticket the best way that gets the points on troubleshooting. Configuration section is more flexible as long as follow the guidelines. Generally, configuration is "whatever gets it to work" without violating any of the rules or explicit statements. Troubleshooting however needs a best answer or INE will call you out on it. I have done 6 of the troubleshooting labs from Vol.2 and have moved into the TS Graded labs (available via tokens) on INE. They have definitely produced a more realistic scenario and therefore have tighter controls on what is considered a valid answer.

Keep up the good work.

Mike