7.4 VRRP Address to use

Just notied that the WB doesn't specify the IP to use and as R6 is the current DG I set the IP to .6.

The issue with this is the following error about not being able to use tracking when the DG is set on an owned address:

Rack1R6(config-if)#vrrp 26 track 1 decrement 20

% tracking not supported on IP address owner

Now looking at the SG the use of a non-owned IP works fine but this doesn't follow from the question wording.  I can also solve this by changing the address of R6's VLAN26 interface to .x and using .6 in VRRP but that would break the rules!

I followed the SG but wasn't happy.  [:'(]

Comments

• My version of the WB says to use .1 as the gateway:

"Do not use HSRP to accomplish this and use the IP address of 130.X.26.1

for the virtual gateway."

Do you have another version?

• Hi Alan,

Just notied that the WB doesn't specify the IP to use

Task mentions that "Do not use HSRP to accomplish this and use the IP address of 130.X.26.1 for the virtual gateway."

The issue with this is the following error about not being able to use tracking when the DG is set on an owned address

It seems that the task does not require tracking. Plain vanilla master-backup is enough. As R6 has higher IP address, it wins the Master election.

I hope you are happy now [:D]

Happy studying! [B]

• Both Alex & Daniel,

No, my version doesn't.  I'll dl the latest again and check.

Thanks.

• And after checking...unfortunatley the Dynamips version doesn't have the IP address in it and the real one does.

Still, good to think about this sort of issue and I've cemeneted the knowledge.  That's what I'm trying to do!

Probably a minor pick-up for the Tech Edit team.