Vnic and Vhba

I am new to UCS and I apologize in advance for asking stupid question. I created a service profile and added 1 vnic and 2 vhba and installed windows 2008 bare metal os on the blade. When I go in Netwrk connections in Windows I see 1 Network Adapter which is the vNic I created in service profile, what I don't understand is where would I see the vHBA in Windows and how does Windows picks which vHba to use first.

Joe

Comments

• The vHBA Will show up as a ordinary device in device manager, provided you've installed the drivers for the vHBA's.

To utilize multiple vHBAs you need muktipathing software. It is the multipathing software on the host that decides which vHBA will be used.

/Mark

• what I don't understand is where would I see the vHBA in Windows

Just to add to Mark's answer, below is an example what you will see in device manager:

how does Windows picks which vHba to use first.
    Windows will only see harddrive just like in the old SCSI days. It's the HBA configuration that will make the storage visible to the operating system. And the failover will be transparent to the operating system as well.  

Below is an example view of HBA software from Qlogicimage

You can download this document http://filedownloads.qlogic.com/files/manual/69938/SN0054651-00B.pdf 
    Under section 3-1 it tells you types of HBA configuration.  

Happy Studying[B]

• Thanks guys, makes sense now.