Bist failed...

Hello everybody,

i need please some help here cause im stuck with that problem...

I started working on dynamips but after so many tries i m getting an error when i connect over router's console.

BIST FAILED...
Unknown file system detected.
Use format command to format the card as DOS File System.
Or use erase command to format the card as Low End File System.

It's quite unnerving because i tried many IOS images, i changed a lot times topology, i used also some older version like 3.0 or 4.0.

I changed router models, 3640, then 3660, then 3725. Nothing seems work.

I used the sed script to convert interfaces making usable over dynamips and after that i set up topology with my directories.

Result is always the same. I also tried to load topology without configs and then importing them through the GNS3 import feature.

i always used GNS3 but i never received that error, probably a bug of Ubuntu?

Comments

• Not sure what wrong with your GNS3, but mine also shows the same output below without causing any issue, i.e. config can be loaded without issue. I am using 3725 adv ent k9 12.4(17).

I am not a dynamips/GNS3 expert, so I recommend you to read this thread: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/31369 

HTHPost

• Not sure what wrong with your GNS3, but mine also shows the same output below without causing any issue, i.e. config can be loaded without issue. I am using 3725 adv ent k9 12.4(17).

I am not a dynamips/GNS3 expert, so I recommend you to read this thread: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/31369 

HTHPost

Alexander,

me neither im expert but i resolved yesterday night so i want post my experience hoping to help you and anybody had same issue.

I use Ubuntu Linux so i don't know if those steps are pertinent for Windows users..

Anyway first of all, before update Ubuntu, i've upgraded to the last version of GNS3 source 0.8.3.1.tgz, then i noted i had old version of dynamips and i upgraded it too. I received the same error so i started to look topology file and my attention was captured by the path of working directory, so i found i had workin directory config wrong cause in GNS3 options pointed to the root directory of GNS3 instead in topology pointed to another location so make sure workin directories are corrects!

When i entered in the working directory i found so many old temp. files of GNS3 coming from my old labs. I removed all and left empty that directory. Finally after that i loaded the official INE topology file and the configs adapted with sed script of Daniel Dib that i want also thank for nice intuition and all worked fine.

So i hope this can help.

Pietro

• Thanks for the update! Glad that you solved it.