Febricpath for DCI

Hi Guys

I am currenlty working on Design for Febric path and wondering about whether any one has used Febricpath solution for DCI ?

I am thinking to use it within DC as well as DCI ?

If anyone has already thought about it or already implemented it, Could you pls advise/ comment ?

Thanks in advance

Kiran

Comments

• Hi Kiran,

There's nothing wrong with using FabricPath as your DCI. However (there always is a but..), one important thing for many people is that you'll loose the ability to localize your FHRP gateways (active in both sites) meaning that a server may have to pass the DCI in order to reach its default gateway. The reason is that you can't filter on FabricPath ports. Again, there is nothing wrong with that, but it is somewhat suboptimal in terms of bandwidth utilization.

Once NX-OS 6.2 comes out, you'll get Anycast HSRP, which will allow you to have multiple (up to four) active gateways in the same HSRP group - as far as I have understood the feature is designed to be used together with FabricPath, meaning that FabricPath may be a more viable solution.

Cisco is pushing OTV as the preferred solution for DCI's but it does require N7K's with M1/M2 cards. If you have N5K's, FabricPath or a vPC design (if you need FHRP isolation between the sites) is the way forward. If you have N7K's with M-series cards, I'd opt for OTV, as it completely isolates the two layer 2 domains from each other.

In the end, your final design will be a product of the available hardware platform and licenses. [:)]

/Mark

• The only real limitation is transport.  FabricPath will only work over dark fiber because it’s not an Ethernet frame format.  If the DCI is MPLS L2VPN I don’t believe that they can encap the FabricPath frame.

Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593 (R&S/SP/Security), CCDE #2013::13

[email protected]

Internetwork Expert, Inc.

http://www.INE.com

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of MarkDotDK
    Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:58 PM
    To: Brian McGahan
    Subject: Re: [CCIE DC] Febricpath for DCI

Hi Kiran,

There's nothing wrong with using FabricPath as your DCI. However (there always is a but..), one important thing is that you'll loose the ability to localize your FHRP gateways (active in both sites) meaning that a server may have to pass the DCI in order to reach its default gateway. The reason is that you can't filter on FabricPath ports. Again, there is nothing wrong with that, but it is somewhat suboptimal in terms of bandwidth utilization.

Once NX-OS 6.2 comes out, you'll get Anycast HSRP, which will allow you to have multiple (up to four) active gateways in the same HSRP group - as far as I have understood the feature is designed to be used together with FabricPath.

Cisco is pushing OTV as the preferred solution for DCI's but it does require N7K's with M1/M2 cards. If you have N5K's, FabricPath or a vPC design (if you need FHRP isolation between the sites) is the way forward. If you have N7K's with M-series cards, I'd opt for OTV, as it completely isolates the two layer 2 domains from each other.

In the end, your final design will be a product of the available hardware platform and licenses. Smile

/Mark

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• I'd opt for OTV, as it completely isolates the two layer 2 domains from each other.

Totally agree with Mark on this point, using FabricPath locally in each DC and OTV to extend the VLANs. If you have abundant dark fibre links, I think you can consider using FP for DCI, but if you have limited budget on the WAN, I think OTV is better. 

Anyone else using FabricPath outside there? I am wondering if FP/TRILL will be widely adopted.

Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks Mark and Brian 

Appreciate your prompt reply on this topic

We do have 2 x 10 GIG dark fibre connectivity between DCs. Therefore as far as technicality of febricpath is concern, then I dont see any issue there.

However I will consider your expert advise and keep in mind the concerns you guys have mentioned in my design. 

Thanks again ..its great help from you guys

Cheers

Kiran

• Hi Kiran,

I am sorry if you know this already, but for more design recommendation on FP, I recommend you to watch one of Cisco Live 365 session: BRKDCT-2081 - Cisco FabricPath Technology and Design
    https://www.ciscolive365.com/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=5934&tclass=popup 

Cheers [Y]

• I was at a FabricPath session at CLUS on Monday. When asked, approx. 30% of the attendants said they had FabricPath deployed in production, so it seems like it is being adopted.

/Mark

• approx. 30% of the attendants said they had FabricPath deployed in production
    Good to know that [Y]. Thanks for sharing Mark. 
  • Yes, that is awesome. I think the technology is pretty solid. I have been pushing it for most of my customers doing installs.