Confused

Hope someone can help.

I am a bit confused about to go for my own lab (gns3 with real switches) or rack rental. Currently i am going through advanced technologies videos and I want to start workbook 1 with that but confused what to go for (Keeping in mind blueprint might change this year). Also i tried rack rental with a company (not with INE) for the very first time and found out that all the routers and switches didn't have any config on them so had to put the initial config on all of them which took a long time. So please advise what should I do...

Comments

• just cause your handle is cricinfo i'm gonna put in my 2 bits...

go with INE rack rental.

why say you?

reasons

1) as you said the blue print is probably gonna change this year...i'm expecting the change to be announced sometime in the summer. so if you buy a rack...it might become useless. For those of us that are almost done with WB1, we are within shooting distance of the IE before the whole thing changes. But if you are just beginning...there is too much of a risk involved in buying a rack.

2) Their equipment is gonna be first rate bar none....and from the messages i've seen on this board they handle problems and rack issues professionally. Worst case scenario you can complain to Brian himself ...as he frequents this forum often.

3) if you ARE following INEs workbook..a certain issue of loyalty should be taken into consideration. If you are gonna do rack rentals..then go with INE....

Tox!

• I would agree with Tox.

If you want to keep costs down now, I'd probably look at using GNS3 where you can, and rack rentals as you need them (switching/QoS).

Yes, the blueprint may well change, but most of what you study now in Vol 1 will still be relevant. OSPF, BGP, STP - that stuff isn't going anywhere.

The INE rack rentals are pretty good value now - they're cheaper and more flexible than when I started using them. Shorter blocks of time makes them more useful. Config mgmt is a big part of it. When I started with INE, they had automated config loading tools, but it ate into your time with the racks. Now that you can "pre-load", it means you're not wasting time.

That said, it's really not that hard to cut/paste configs onto 10 devices - it's just a little bit annoying.

• Generally agree with Tox.

GNS3/dynamips works for a lot of stuff, but takes some work to get running nicely.  I use GNS3 frequently, so it wasn't much work.  There are some really well put together seds/configs/.nets available from forum members, as well.

• Generally agree with Tox.

GNS3/dynamips works for a lot of stuff, but takes some work to get running nicely.  I use GNS3 frequently, so it wasn't much work.  There are some really well put together seds/configs/.nets available from forum members, as well.

once upon a time i tried to "install GNS" on my PC..even though i have a physical lab....and gave up after a day of getting some sorta hypervisor error...

for those (and i'm not saying that this guy is like me) of us that got encultured into the "computer related" field of networking..with networking..and had absolutely zilch interest in fiddling around with a computer beforehand....know only THAT.

i'm horrible at userlevel stuff...i know eventually it'll be a necessary evil...i'll have to learn ...but itching my brain right thru my eye seems like a delightful activity by comparison.

..just sayin...

Tox!

• cricinfo,

Most of the scenario can be done in GNS3. Having said that, you can use GNS3 for the most to cut the cost down. However, please be aware that the way INE setup the lab is continuous from one task to another, this will probably a bit difficult to follow and match.

What I've been doing is to understand the scenario and break it into smaller scenario, if possible, then created my own GNS3 with smaller network.

The other features and for the full blown scenario which requires the full network, save your time, use INE lab as they will provide you with the easiest way to get it up and ready for lab.

All the best for your study.

thx,
    dsu

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM, cricinfo <bounce-cricinfo@ieoc.com> wrote:

Hope someone can help.

I am a bit confused about to go for my own lab (gns3 with real switches) or rack rental. Currently i am going through advanced technologies videos and I want to start workbook 1 with that but confused what to go for (Keeping in mind blueprint might change this year). Also i tried rack rental with a company (not with INE) for the very first time and found out that all the routers and switches didn't have any config on them so had to put the initial config on all of them which took a long time. So please advise what should I do...

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Thanks for all those who replied.

I was thinking to use gns3 and rack rental together for lab preparation and for that reason I have arranged 4 3560 switches already. I have got quotation for PC which is around £650 (GB).

I am planning to go for the lab exam next year which means i probably have to use new blueprint. So keeping in mind what would be the best option ? If I have to spend little bit extra on rack rental then I don't mind but if its a big saving with going for dynamips then i think that'd be my preferred option

• Rack rental is very inexpensive and future proof compared to building your own lab.  Even the switches for GNS3 + real switches would cover a large amount of rack time.  Many of the training bundles INE sells come with rack time.

I'd say start with rack time, during that time get up to speed with GNS3, and if neither of those solutions meet your needs, buy your own rack.

• I would also say study for version 4 of the blueprint. When and if version 5 comes out. You only have to study the bits that have changed or are new.

Sent from my iPhone

On 29 Jan 2013, at 13:10, "pieces_of_eight" <bounce-pieces_of_eight@ieoc.com> wrote:

Rack rental is very inexpensive and future proof compared to building your own lab.  Even the switches for GNS3 + real switches would cover a large amount of rack time.  Many of the training bundles INE sells come with rack time.

I'd say start with rack time, during that time get up to speed with GNS3, and if neither of those solutions meet your needs, buy your own rack.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Thanks for all those who replied.

I was thinking to use gns3 and rack rental together for lab preparation and for that reason I have arranged 4 3560 switches already. I have got quotation for PC which is around £650 (GB).

I am planning to go for the lab exam next year which means i probably have to use new blueprint. So keeping in mind what would be the best option ? If I have to spend little bit extra on rack rental then I don't mind but if its a big saving with going for dynamips then i think that'd be my preferred option

save yourself some dough...buy some 3550s like i did...(and then maybe you can afford the whole lab!)

the stuff you'll need to learn on the 3560s that the 50s cannot do can be done in 1 or 2 sessions...of rack time rental

3560 QOS/Private Vlans/Ipv6 routing..off the top of my head..

Tox!

• I have already got four 3560 switches. I luckily got them from my previous workplace on cheap rate. For the whole physical lab i would have to buy 6 more routers, 1 FR switch and 2 BBs and an access server. The other issue with that is I don't have space at home to have physical lab.

I read somewhere that Cisco might go for 15.2 in new blueprint which means my whole lab could become useless so that's another thought in my mind.

So that's why i am kind of stuck between gns3/dynmips and rack rental.

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

There are a lot of people on this forum that are probably envious of you -- for having the 4 most expensive devices already.  4x3560's???   Nice. 

It seems to me, you can build one of the mixed setups?  You do not need
    all of the routers. Just add the physical switches to a GNS3 setup, trunking to a breakout
    switch.  Personally, I gave up on that idea, only because I am currently outside the
    US, and those switches would cost me an extra arm and 1/2 a leg to get to
    me for a reasonable price  (add import taxes and transport).

It really depends on your time and patience setting it all up correctly.   Why not try the labs from WB1 using the Rack-Rental? That way you know what you are getting into, and what you need to understand while setting up the WB network.

Do a search for the GNS3 INE setup.   I know that there are blogs and forum threads on the topic. Unfortunately, I did not save the links.

Or you can sell those 3560's, and just buy rack time.   More than one person would probably love to get at least two of them.

• I have already got four 3560 switches.

nice :)

Tox!