There is no REAL CCIE shortcut

Hello,

I just wanted to put up a post
for the CCIE curious.

Last spring I returned from a
nightmare trip to an IT training facility in India. It was recommended to me by
a friend who I trusted. (Not any more) The VERY VERY short version of this story is that
these facilities are poorly equipped and the training is incredibly poor. (I am
being polite, but imagine the worst training you have ever had and it’s below
that)

Unfortunately, I have another
horror story from another close friend about a different facility with a
different company. His experiences are identical to my own.

The low cost and short time
frame may seem attractive but it is a false economy. The only thing the tutors and students talked about was passing exams using dumps. They even had a copy of
the CCIE lab exams which they were giving out freely! I was horrified at the state
of the accommodation as well. 

I am very proud to say I
returned home after 4 days of a month (2 weeks tutoring 2 weeks dumps, which is different from what they put on there website) of so called CCIE training. I could not believe how
proudly these people were promoting cheating.

I am not studying the CCIE for
a pay raise; I am studying to become a better engineer to completely understand
my profession and to be respected amongst my peers. I hate the fact people are
only sitting a poor 2 week course and then memorising a string of commands for 2 weeks.
Hopefully these people will be found out when it comes to the interview stage,
but it will probably be unlikely. It wouldnt be until the probation period is
over that managers will finally catch on. People like these are driving down
the respect and demand of the CCIE.

I was naive then, but after 6 months of reading 5 different text
books cover-to-cover to solidify my technical understanding, I am ready to
begin going through the VODs and Labs. I have followed Petr's guides and
created a study guide of my own. I now hope to attempt the lab at the end of
the summer. A full 18 months after my trip to India.

There is no REAL shortcut to the CCIE. Only hard work and dedication will make you a true CCIE. If you meet anyone who has been to one of these Indian training facilities (or similar), got there qualification (or worse even recommends them) then please question them, hard! See if they start sweating under the pressure.

Good luck to everyone who is trying to get the CCIE the right way, aka THE HARD WAY.

Kind Regards,

Mark

Comments

• It happens unfortuantely mate. The only good thing though is, in interviews, these people are useless. I've sat in countless interviews with highly 'qualified' Engineers who didnt even know what basic things like ping and trace where. 

• How do you feel about Lance Armstrong?

• I am more disapointed with his high and mighty appearance in Dodgeball.

Where in that clip does it mention that he injects himself with other peoples blood?
    Lance Armstrong, half cyclist half vampire.

• Good for you, on seeing that they were a sham, and having the integrity to pull out of it. Lesson learned I guess?

If you use one of the reputable companies (INE obviously being one of them), you won't end up in this sort of situation. They're not cheap, but sometimes you do get what you pay for.

He is a hero.

Steroids are not cheating just cause some idiot said so.

for those that are under the false impression...Armstrong won amongst people that were probably using equal amounts if not more drugs.

the number of times i have people look at some powerlifter or bodybuilder and say ot me " i'd be that big and strong also if i took what he did"

1) No you wont...if that ws the case...every other guy in every other gym would be a super athlete

2) No ..you aren't an athlete ..so..no  you simply lack the balls to train that hard year after year

60 yeas ago...weight training ws considered cheating.

Anabolic steroids are relatively benign drugs that actually can be quite benificial in old age.

more people die of tylenol poisoning every day than people have died of steroids in the last 50 years "-)

my 2 bits...cause this does hit a nerve with me...cause in our society...clinton who desecrated the office of the president is hero...that kardashian chick that basically prostituted herself for $ is also a heroine...yet true hard working athletes get shat on...

given the same exact drugs...you couldn't do it....PERIOD.

sigh...

Tox!

• btw...I totally agree with Mark....

those brain dump people ....they aren't passing the CCIE..anyways...a scant few might get thru...but then...they'll get jobs in India...!!  they will be found out at the interview process here in the US

fine by me...as long as they are creating messes on a different continent...

Tox!

• These Indian "bootcamps" are well known unfortunately. I am surprised the OP
    went all the way to India with different expectations. I am not questioning your
    motives, I am just saying I am surprised you didn't know about this. It's a damn
    shame, and is part of the reason why many people don't take the certifications
    too seriously, even CCIE. I think Cisco should introduce again some core
    knowledge open questions, even a brief 30 minute talk with the candidates. It's
    a hustle, but for $2000 exam I think we have the right to ask for it.

• These Indian "bootcamps" are well known unfortunately. I am surprised the OP
    went all the way to India with different expectations. I am not questioning your
    motives, I am just saying I am surprised you didn't know about this. It's a damn
    shame, and is part of the reason why many people don't take the certifications
    too seriously, even CCIE. I think Cisco should introduce again some core
    knowledge open questions, even a brief 30 minute talk with the candidates. It's
    a hustle, but for $2000 exam I think we have the right to ask for it.

wait..WHAT ??? the exam is $2000?? thought it ws $1550???

Tox!

He is a hero.

Steroids are not cheating just cause some idiot said so.

Well, I'm fairly sure that steroids are cheating becasue the rulebook said so, regardless of what "some idiot" said, but my implied point was that it's just about as shocking that some training facilities offer dumps as it is that there is PED use in professional sports.

• Hello,

I just wanted to put up a post
    for the CCIE curious.

I failed my CCIE lab a couple months ago and I realized that I just need to know the topics more deep inside and practice, practice, practice... Even after reading this post I would never be able to cheat with that because my final goal is to become a complete reliable Network Engeneer, and cheatting is not the way. Sooner or later you will have to face your professional skills and the true will settler you in the position that you deserve.

•  

Well, I'm fairly sure that steroids are cheating becasue the rulebook said so, regardless of what "some idiot" said, but my implied point was that it's just about as shocking that some training facilities offer dumps as it is that there is PED use in professional sports.

Rule book written by non athletes for athletes. Fat slobs making decisions that effect the lives of highly trained athletes..anyhow with the invent of designer steroids(the gas chromatography spectrum in moot) and insulin like growh factor and myostatin inhibitors (inhibit the gene that stops muscle growth)...you wont be catching ANYONE..anymore..i'm someone that been on the "in"....EVERONE is on...Armstrong NEVER tested positive..he simply admitted to it "-) thats FACT!

ever seen michael phelleps jawline??? or hands?? google image him...its called acromegaly from growth hormone use...you'd say abuse...

anyhow...providing brain dumbs in a 3rd world country? christ..is that so surprising or shocking? you think the CCIE lab facility in India (isn't there one?) is 100% kosher?    ...i'd say no...it should be shut down...but it wont be...we gotta live with it...

just like i gotta live with hearing 99% of the population knowing absolutely zilch about performance enhancement yet parroting "its bad for you i tells ya..baad baad and evil"   why??

cause someone on TV said so.... <eye roll>

Tox!

• wait..WHAT ??? the exam is $2000?? thought it ws $1550???

Well, I exaggerated a little, it's 1800 USD here in EU with the VAT. But the point stays - Cisco should do better to protect the value of the certification after all the efforts we, the candidates, are making to pass it.

• Tox,

There is a test centre in Bangalore I believe. People were
    both passing and failing in equal measure. Also, I don’t think you can doubt the
    integrity of a Cisco facility just because of its location. I don’t think that
    is fair or very professional. Actually, I found the locals very helpful and kind. Not particually good at time-keeping or driving but otherwise I had no reason to distrust them. (Well, outside of the training facility)

Also, I was not the only non-Indian. There were people from
    across Europe, America and Africa. I think most of the Western guys were as disappointed
    as I was. However, as far as I can tell I was the only one to vote with their feet.

Personally I was dubious from the start, but I went because I was told it
    was good by a colleague. (Says more than he might have hoped) However, I think
    the majority went because it cheap, short and had plenty of recommendations on
    the site. I learned that those recommendations are just other people who got caught out
    and want some of their money back. I guess we all forgot rule No1. "IF IT
    SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS".

Oh Tox, We all love the passion. Makes for intriguing reading. But cheating IS cheating.
    If the rules say no and you do it anyway, no matter what it is, that is
    cheating. If everyone is doing it they should all be striped of their titles and band from their sports. Rules (or laws in the case of rugby) are NOT made to be broken.

If you have an issue with the legal classification of steroids
    and other PEDs, or there usage in professional sport, then please contact your
    local politician or the Olympic Committee.

Kind Regards,

Mark

•  

Oh Tox, We all love the passion. Makes for intriguing reading. But cheating IS cheating.
    If the rules say no and you do it anyway, no matter what it is, that is
    cheating. If everyone is doing it they should all be striped of their titles and band from their sports. Rules (or laws in the case of rugby) are NOT made to be broken.

If you have an issue with the legal classification of steroids
    and other PEDs, or there usage in professional sport, then please contact your
    local politician or the Olympic Committee.

Kind Regards,

Mark

the olympic cometee is bound by social mores which is bound by the local popular opinion. So steroids are cheating because they give someone an "unfair advantage"...hmm the advantage is not unfair when everyone is on...you may share you head at that...but pick your favourite athlete..he/she is ON... "-)

If you consider steroids are cheating i hope you dont watch ANY aport...especially football. These drug free athletes are tested for EVERYTHING BUT...

ever wonder why the when you sprain an bone or strain a tendon it takes years to recover but when football players do it it takes 8 months? 

Let me give you an example of true cheating.

After Ben Johnsons win in the olympics during which he used steroids and after wards stripped of his medal the IOC CHANGED THE CONSISTENCY OF THE TRACK and MAKE IT BOUNCIER.

Why? so people could run faster on it.  (and BTW Carl Lewish ws never tested)

What abouit those  full body swim suits that were only available to the American swim team back in the day that cut down resistance in the water...that cheating?

What about graphine poles for the pole vault...that cheating for the people that went before did not have those?

ever wonder why football players...and baseball players now a days are much more muscular? <grin>

ok how about our army sniper taking a beta blocker to slow down his heart so he can shoot between heart beats to avoid finger tremor and kill terrorists? that cheating?  ok now what about when an olympic sharp shooter does it? ...what about drinking a glass of wine insteads of a beta blocker?  almost the same effect.

You know what Lance Armstrong did?  He took out his own blood 3 months prior to an event...let his body make up the blood deficiency and then put his own blood back in him right before the event. the abundance of red blood cels give one more endurance. that cheating...i think not..

All athletes behind closed door..away from normal people feel the same way..you opinion is moot cause you never were nor are ever going to be an athelete...what if i told you you couldn't watch INE video lecture cause that gave you unfair advantage against people that cannot afford to buy them or dont have the internet?

messing with someone lively hood and lifystyle because your taught belefs say "no"..when their beliefs are in no way shape or form are harming you...is backwards...and i expect that from commoners...not engineers..

Tox!

• So, it seems like your argument boils down to "If everyone is doing it, it's not cheating."

• So, it seems like your argument boils down to "If everyone is doing it, it's not cheating."

no..cause that would be the only acceptable answer for you...

its not cheating cause there is absolutely nothing wrong with enhancing your body to produce optimum performance.

and if anyone is under the misconception...that you too could win world championships if you took performance enhancements...

lemme clear that up for ya...

not a chance in hell...you simply dont have the genes :-)

1)champions are born...not made

2) an amongst champions the best of the best use the best most undetectable steroids. The usa wins the most medals every olympic season because we use the best most undetectable drugs...PERIOD..if you dont get that..then i got a prime piece of property in agola i'd like to sell you..

wake up Neo...!  but you wont..this is a moot argument...i'm done..the common public will continue to parrot the " they are bad for you line"  while knowing zilch about the subject matter..

Tox!

• PEDs aside, if you show up to a raw meet with a 3 ply denim suit, even if you get 3 whites, you're not going to get credit for your lift.  Are 3 ply suits unethical or "wrong?"  Obviously not.  However, at a raw meet, where the rules "some idiot" put together state "NO INZER 4U!!!!" they're considered "cheating."

• PEDs aside, if you show up to a raw meet with a 3 ply denim suit, even if you get 3 whites, you're not going to get credit for your lift.  Are 3 ply suits unethical or "wrong?"  Obviously not.  However, at a raw meet, where the rules "some idiot" put together state "NO INZER 4U!!!!" they're considered "cheating."

at RAW meets every is juiced to the gills....i've been to plenty..i used to train at the same gym once upon a time as Captain Kirk.

anyhow...

next you'll be comparing sprinters with a guy on a motorcycle as a method to supply me with apt cheating examples..

sorry..i wont be buying it...

the reason Steroids became illegal ws because the public got sold the false premise that they are dangerous drugs..and there stemmed their illegality in sports....

but when you start with a false premise..your whole argument is moot.....

i dont consider performance enhancement as cheating...and steroids fall under that umbrella...the illegality rule is there just to appease the "idiot" masses..

everyone knows that everyone else is ON the sauce...if that wasn't the case then TEST EVERYONE...not just randomly...

...o wait..you cant..because of designer steroids...its impossible...

lemme put it in our terms...what do you say to the guy that claims to get a 100% on the CCIE lab...you say that he got a just passing grade like everyone else..

same here..when you cant test properly for who is on and who is not...EVERYONE is ON...except in this case..every one actually IS

Tox!

• I'm all for steroids in sports. After all who is going to fight against the upcoming super robot army other than our genetically and chemically enhanced athlete warriors? ;)

On Jan 22, 2013, at 3:32 PM, "ToxicAvenginator" <[email protected]> wrote:

image pieces_of_eight:

PEDs aside, if you show up to a raw meet with a 3 ply denim suit, even if you get 3 whites, you're not going to get credit for your lift.  Are 3 ply suits unethical or "wrong?"  Obviously not.  However, at a raw meet, where the rules "some idiot" put together state "NO INZER 4U!!!!" they're considered "cheating."

at RAW meets every is juiced to the gills....i've been to plenty..i used to train at the same gym once upon a time as Captain Kirk.

anyhow...

next you'll be comparing sprinters with a guy on a motorcycle as a method to supply me with apt cheating examples..

the reason Steroids became illegal ws because the public got sold the false premise that they are dangerous drugs..and there stemmed their illegality in sports....

i dont consider performance enhancement as cheating...and steroids fall under that umbrella...the illegality rule is there just to appease the "idiot" masses..

everyone knows that everyone else is ON the sauce...if that wasn't the case then TEST EVERYONE...not just randomly...

Tox!

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• I'm all for steroids in sports. After all who is going to fight against the upcoming super robot army other than our genetically and chemically enhanced athlete warriors? ;)

On Jan 22, 2013, at 3:32 PM, "ToxicAvenginator" <[email protected]> wrote:

image pieces_of_eight:

PEDs aside, if you show up to a raw meet with a 3 ply denim suit, even if you get 3 whites, you're not going to get credit for your lift.  Are 3 ply suits unethical or "wrong?"  Obviously not.  However, at a raw meet, where the rules "some idiot" put together state "NO INZER 4U!!!!" they're considered "cheating."

anyhow...

Tox!

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

See even Brian agrees with me!

BTW Brian generic engineering is closser than you think...The myostatin gene when expressed inhibits muscle grown and keeps it from going haywire..

http://www.freefitnessguru.com/images/BlueCowSmall.jpg

below is picture of a bull with the myostation gene blocked form expression...mystatin inhibitors are already in the works...

when atheletes get a hold of these..watch out...and when you actually change someones genes...there is no test for that...

now i should go get back to studying as much fun as it is arguing on here !

Tox!

Nah, that will be job for us - the nerds, to hack into the central control mainframe and jam the signal.

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

I'm all for steroids in sports. After all who is going to fight against the upcoming super robot army other than our genetically and chemically enhanced athlete warriors? ;)

This is funny.   I was going to make a joke that there should be similar testing for the likes of the Brian's and Petr. 

Multi-CCIE's?  Who are these guys?     What makes them tick?   [8-|] [8-|][8-|]

If we can get Iowa's Strongest Man, Steve Justa and Svend Karlsen a Superfriends style Hall of Justice, I'd bank on them over "athletes."

• I failed my CCIE lab a couple months ago and I realized that I just need to know the topics more deep inside and practice, practice, practice...

Failing the exam is not fun - but unfornately (as we both know from experience) it's the probable outcome at least the first couple of attempts.  At least on this forum we can share our experiences - there are no shortcuts if you want to be an excellent Internet Expert.

• These camps that have complete instructions what to do are the likely reason ccie labs are becoming more and more obscure and corner cases oriented. Cisco is trying to ensure exam's integrity  by obscurity. Unfortunately, all honest folks are becoming victims of this trend. The only reason I'm still pursuing the ccie is that I've already invested significant amount of time and effort into it. I've become disillusioned in the process though. I'm not doing it for the knowledge any more, but only for something to show to the recruiter. And if I'm the person responsible for hiring, the ccie won't really help, unless there is a real world knowledge as well.