Beginning CCIE written studies...a few questions

I just finished up my CCNP R&S in August and have decided to start studying for my CCIE written, which i'm planning to take in June (Since it's free at Cisco Live).  I have purchased the CCNP and CCIP videos to study, along with Routing TCP/IP vol 1 book.  Are there any other recommended studies, since I think those videos cover pretty much all of the related subjects on the written exam?  I'm new to the forums, so please be gentle...hehe.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Comments

• Get the CCIE written OCG and also TCP/IP vol 2 to cover what is not in vol 1.

The OCG covers everything you need for the Written. I would then use the videos you talked about to solidify your knowledge.

• I'm in week 7 (about 22 hours weekly) hammering at OCG, written (and various atc) videos, and the boson simulater. From previous cisco certs, between the 3 sources it "feels" like it's covering what will be needed for their exams.

I know it can't hurt, but at least mentally, I'm following the Petr Lapukhov guide with "obtain a solid theoretical knowledge foundation by studying for and passing the CCIE R&S Written test prior to starting this program" and just trying to get the written knocked out before the majority of my ccie-prep time becomes labbing.

Is the TCP/IPv2 so necessary for the written that I should read each corresponding chapter of that book as I'm reading OCG?

Multiple opinions welcome.

thx

• if you have access to old INE VOl 1 ver 4.1, I would recommend to perform all those labs atleast before attempting written as it shold give you enough confidence. Also older version was very focussed and doable in short time. New vol 1 is too long but that's what you really needed for Lab Prep too.

• I just took the written again a week or two ago. It was way harder than the first time I took it in 2010. It will certainly take more than the OCG. Not to discourage you, I did pass it. It just takes more study that's all. You definately want Routing TCP/IP I & II. Go through the written blueprint and seek out your weak points.

Best of luck!

Bill

• I gave my first attempt at the 350-001 a little over a week ago and missed by a few marks.

IMO everything needed was in the OCG. Nothing caught me off gaurd, but I also have a CCNP and CCIP and have been deep with most all subjects.

I will say the BOSON software that came with the book didnt provide much help for me. Unlike other test in the past were Boson was pretty dead on this time it feels like it lead me in the wrong direction and focused me in areas that were not tested as in-depth. That could have been luck of the draw too... But, it did provided a breakdown of my week areas to work on during prep.

Going forward Im digging deeper on all areas and building more flash cards (Anki). Ill use the Boson test here or there but not as much as my first attempt. Ill also be using the INE CCIE Written VOD that is coming with my bundle.

• I think that in this case, the Boson engine is used, but the content comes from the book authors. If you purchased the Boson test directly from them (Boson ExSim-Max for 350-001), you would get a completely different set of questions.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM, that1guy15 <[email protected]> wrote:

I gave my first attempt at the 350-001 a little over a week ago and missed by a few marks.

IMO everything needed was in the OCG. Nothing caught me off gaurd, but I also have a CCNP and CCIP and have been deep with most all subjects.

I will say the BOSON software that came with the book didnt provide much help for me. Unlike other test in the past were Boson was pretty dead on this time it feels like it lead me in the wrong direction and focused me in areas that were not tested as in-depth. That could have been luck of the draw too... But, it did provided a breakdown of my week areas to work on during prep.

Going forward Im digging deeper on all areas and building more flash cards (Anki). Ill use the Boson test here or there but not as much as my first attempt. Ill also be using the INE CCIE Written VOD that is coming with my bundle.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• I guess I just didn't feel the OCG went deep enough into the topics. Coming right out of CCNP would probably be a huge help which was the case when I first took the written. Maybe that is why I didn't think it was that tough the first time.

• I should have also prefaced that I am a Network Engineer for a telecommunications company and have a pretty strong background in L2, L3, OSPF, BGP, MPLS and Multicast already.  I do, however, not have much QoS experience, and I've seen a lot of people mention that there is quite a bit on the written and lab exam.  I plan on getting TCP/IP vol 2 after i'm done with vol 1 and I will also get the OCG just to get a good feel at what will be thrown at me.  Even though the exam is free, I still want to pass it so I can begin my journey into zero life when I start studying for the lab exam.  Thanks to everyone for their suggestions as well.

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

I should have also prefaced that I am a Network Engineer for a telecommunications company and have a pretty strong background in L2, L3, OSPF, BGP, MPLS and Multicast already.  I do, however, not have much QoS experience, and I've seen a lot of people mention that there is quite a bit on the written and lab exam.  I plan on getting TCP/IP vol 2 after i'm done with vol 1 and I will also get the OCG just to get a good feel at what will be thrown at me.  Even though the exam is free, I still want to pass it so I can begin my journey into zero life when I start studying for the lab exam.  Thanks to everyone for their suggestions as well.

With lots of due respect, you should go into the CCIE quest with one thing in mind: NONE OF YOUR EXPERIENCE MATTERS.  It will all throw you down the wrong rat-holes on questions when you try to do things "real world right" instead of "lab right". I tell people that the lab exam involves building a network that no sane individual would ever build, let alone under a significant time crunch. Example: during some of my early attempts, a six-router, two-switch, maybe three-backbone-router topology might involve RIP, multi-area OSPF with stubbiness, EIGRP, multi-level ISIS with provisions for "future routers not yet attached to the network", three FR clouds, and BGP over top, which included route reflectors and confederations. Real world doesn't matter in those trenches.

• Completely understood.  I decided to buy the monthly AAP to see what all is available for videos.  Looks like I'm going to need to bug our Cisco SE to see if I can get some books too...heh.  The breadth of material for this test is definately intimidating, but i'm looking forward to starting my journey towards my CCIE.

• I'm finding I really like the Doyle Vol 1 to accompany the OCG this last week or so.

Last week I've read Odom's chapter on eigrp, watched the written vid on it, did the boson questions that had eigrp mentioned in them, reviewed my notes then thought "Oh, Dolye has 20 questions in the back of ch. 7  plus some config and review questions, let's just see how I fare! I bet this is child's play with my extensive prep."

It was not, far from a passing score. For the majority I scratched my head and thought "you know Brian mentioned this in the video" or "the book mentioned those timers but.....I've seen these commands but I dont remember which one..."

I've adjusted my current plan from:  ine vid > read odom > boson > review > move to next subject

to

Odom > ine vid > doyle >boson > review > move on to next. Solidification and making the knowledge memorable seems the biggest challenge by far. In the past seeing things from multiple angles has helped.

I do some labbing on sundays but that progress does not move nearly as fast as the theory. I think that's OK at this point though.

I also really appreciate the feedback people are putting on this thread.

n

• I am really sorry to ask you this Question ..

what is OCG stands for ??

Shamim

• Official Certification Guide, published by Cisco Press.