Learning the Technologies

Hello All!

I passed the written a week or so ago and now I need to focus on learning the technologies. What are your thoughts about attacking this? Anyone have a road map they have come up with? 

I have been considering flash cards and mind mapping. Not too sure about either though. I haven't figured out how to construct them so as to provide a useful outcome with them.

Thanks for any comments!

Bill

Comments

• Congrats - there are many theories on how to go about doing this.  However, I encourage you to search through the following posts - you will see some really good information that I am sure you can integrate with your style of study/learning.

r/w

On Jan 16, 2013, at 12:24 PM, carterw65 <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello All!

I passed the written a week or so ago and now I need to focus on learning the technologies. What are your thoughts about attacking this? Anyone have a road map they have come up with? 

I have been considering flash cards and mind mapping. Not too sure about either though. I haven't figured out how to construct them so as to provide a useful outcome with them.

Thanks for any comments!

Bill

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Hi Bill,

Paraphrasing a comment made by a Harvard-trainedmath wiz; Unless you can teach something, you don't know it.

The IEOC Forum enjoys participation from several groups:

1. Engineers who have attained multiple CCIEs (INE staff and others).
    2. Engineers who have not yet attained their second CCIE.
    3. A host of engineers steadily travelling the path toward CCIE certification.

In my opinion, each has been strengthened technically by taking the time to guide/teach others.

1. When a question comes up in an area that you have studied, but you are stumped, follow the posts.
    2. When a question comes up in an area that you have studied and you have the correct answer, submit it.

Adding these steps to your study habits will help to cement details that can easily be forgotten.

HTH

Ernie

• There is no permanent theory. You need to figure out your stregth and weeknesses  after reading R&S 4.0 Lab Checklist. Also work experience does matter.

But you need to make a plan and try to stick with it As much as possible. Part of the equation is that CCIE is not only a highly technical exam but also very focussed on how you manage stress and develope your problem solving skills.

Other problem usually people face is how to keep everything in mind after 6 months of study or so. Personally what I use to do was to use INE Audio bootcamp (Best Audio Bootcamp On Planet Earth :-) ) and also visit IEOC everyday as part of my preparation and answer as many queries I can.

Also don't get too much use to with INE and use multiple vendors at some point as part of your preparation.

There are so many other things, but you will know about those as you progress. Like :

> Visit lab location one day before exam to save time next day

> Doc CD nevigation

> Going throgh lab exam demo etc...

Wish you luck....

Just keep in mind it's CCIE journey that makes you CCIE not the certificate.

• Thanks all for the help here. I am putting together my plan now. I have had INEs material for a while now and I do have the audio bootcamp from Scott Morris. I have read several places that it is good to use other vendors in addition to INE. Any one have any suggestions? I only know of one other that I can say I feel comfortable with. Not that other one's are bad, I just don't have any experience with them.

I like that statement Deepak: Just keep in mind it's the CCIE journey that makes you CCIE not the certificate.

I was usually using books to reference what I was stumped on, but now I am using the Doc CD when at all possible to get used to finding stuff in it. 

I appreciate the help,

Bill

• For other vendors, I like the Cisco 360 Mock Labs - I really like the interface, and the TS section uses IOU and lots of devices, making it closer to the real thing. Didn't much like their written materials that you get with the bootcamp. (You get these if you take Narbik's bootcamp. But you also get Narbiks own workbooks, which are much, much better).

IPexpert is well regarded. Haven't used them myself, but they have a good reputation, and people that use them are happy with them.

• Looks like they stripped something off of your post northlandboy. I think I know who you were referring to though.

You really like Cisco's stuff huh? I will have to look into it.

• Yes, you're right. Didn't realise they had a filter like that. Seems very childish. I P X

My main gripe with the Cisco labs is that they're so expensive. But the interface is very good, and if you're used to INE topology/question style, it's good to have something different. Also, when I was studying for the lab, INE hadn't released their TS labs, so Cisco was the only choice for practising TS with a big complex network. 

On 18/01/2013, at 6:51 PM, carterw65 <[email protected]> wrote:

Looks like they stripped something off of your post northlandboy. I think I know who you were referring to though.

You really like Cisco's stuff huh? I will have to look into it.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • Thank you all for your feedback. Would you also suggest to finish written exam without doing any labs and then start work book volume I or taking written exam when the candidate has finished INE Volume I with the blue print Technology.

The problem that I have encountered is just doing the theory would make me forget things. for instance, i have started the switching techonoglies. Then if I can not study for a few weeks due to work or life distraction, by the time that I get back, i feel I have forgot half of it and also more than half of routing protocols especially the technologies that I may not use them on the day to day basis at work. Would you recommend to practice the commands and configuration part of the techonology on the actual device or by writing the commands on the paper and trying to memorize like for instance how to configure something that may not be the day to day tasks like configuration of DHCP Snooping. that is something I have just seen on the book on the day to day tasks. Even if there is no gap between the study, I have found that by the time I finish one technology, I have forgot some of the previous read technology. would doing the lab help? I understand repetion also help but for short amount of time available for study, we might prefer to allocate the time to the techonolgy that we are not comfortable with than repeating the old ones any suggestion is appreciated it.

I also appreciate it if somebody could send me the Dynamips file for INE Workbook volume I and if there is any instructions as how to get that started or changing any interface

Thank you all for your great Forum.

Best of luck.

• Yes, you're right. Didn't realise they had a filter like that. 

i usually get around it by

http://tinyurl.com/

Tox!