Full Connectivity - FR Map Statements

In the interest of full connectivity. Would you recommend placing a map statement on local interfaces. Or does the proctors grading script test connectivity from each device. 

Appreciate any feedback without break any NDA etc.

Comments

• Yes; it is recommended to have a mapping to your own address, so you can locally ping your own address. Anyway, you can always double check this with the proctor in the lab day and if he/she says it is not a requirement, you are safe to not configure it.

Just my 2 cents.

HTH

Good luck!

• Are you referring to a map statement for the IP address local to an interface?  If so then this isn't recommended and doesn't work as you expect as the traffic is pushed out via the PVC and back again debug frame-relay packet  would demonstrate

• Cool - Cheers for the replies. 

Much appreciated.

• Are you referring to a map statement for the IP address local to an interface?  If so then this isn't recommended and doesn't work as you expect as the traffic is pushed out via the PVC and back again debug frame-relay packet  would demonstrate

ditto for a plain old HDLC link...

ping yourself and look at the timers...

for example

r4 s0/1/0------------HDLC-------------------s0/1/0 r5

(155.1.45.0/24)

ping R5

R4#ping 155.1.45.5

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 155.1.45.5, timeout is 2 seconds:

!!!!!

Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 28/28/32 ms

===========================================================

ping myself

R4#ping 155.1.45.4

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 155.1.45.4, timeout is 2 seconds:

!!!!!

Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 56/56/56 ms

in any case to answer the above question....over configuration is not penalized on the CCIE..i fully intend to be able to ping myself ...end to end means...being able to ping myself...

Tox!

• in any case to answer the above question....over configuration is not penalized on the CCIE..i fully intend to be able to ping myself ...end to end means...being able to ping myself...

From the feedback from the two Brians (I'm sure these some posts).  There isn't a requirement to ping your local IP address from yourself as it's kinda pointless :-)

Unless of course a specific task explicitly asks for this.  You could always ask the Proctor - on both occasions they haven't helped.  You could find yourself spending time working out how to frame questions then doing actual work.

HTH

• Thats my train of thought to be honest. 

Cheers, 

Marc

• in any case to answer the above question....over configuration is not penalized on the CCIE..i fully intend to be able to ping myself ...end to end means...being able to ping myself...

From the feedback from the two Brians (I'm sure these some posts).  There isn't a requirement to ping your local IP address from yourself as it's kinda pointless :-)

Unless of course a specific task explicitly asks for this.  You could always ask the Proctor - on both occasions they haven't helped.  You could find yourself spending time working out how to frame questions then doing actual work.

HTH

80% of the work i do on Frame relay is copy and paste fro notepad...i'm gonna map to myself regardless...

its the CCIE...THE TEST OF A LIFETIME....not really a time to be feeling that...its just too much trouble to type ...err copy and paste in those extra..what 3 or 5 or 8 commands?

i dont think sitting in that LAB is the time to be asking the proctor irrelevant questions..the time someone gets up to ask the proctor and walk 5 steps towards him...i'll be done mapping to myself and on to the next task "-)

i'm doing it unless explicitly told not to do so...

my 2 bits

Tox!