Retaking CVOICE on 1/4

Hello Hello future and current voice guru's!

Hope everyone had a decent holiday period and weren't called in for any outages ;)

I am retaking the CVOICE exam tomorrow, unfoturnately I failed last time around.  Although I felt very confident the first time it wasn't enough.  Tried brushing up on concepts and topics and understand my own pitfalls with Cisco exams.  Hopefully better luck this next attempt!  I've been lurking the forums and watching Mark's videos a few times now and supplement with reading through the Sybex CVOICE 8.0 book, hopefully this pushes me over the edge!

If I pass this exam I think I'm going to weigh the costs of buying lab gear or renting rack time for the next few exams.  Unfortunately I don't get the exposure or hands on experience to most of the material being discussed thus far,  my job consists of mainly tedious day to day things in CUCM which ultimately just feel lke busy work, so I need to try to get the experience one way or another.  There's nothing like being in a CLI and making magic happen, you guys know that feeling im sure! :)

So anyways, good luck to everyone who is studying, keep up the motivation and drive! 

Comments

• Bob,
       I am a firm believer in having rack gear if you can swing it.  You're not tied to anyone's clock and you have the ultimate flexibility when you want to tweak and try different things.  You can tweak the IEOC configs to match your hardware (gives you some troubleshooting experience when it doesn't work first time).  Supplement this with rack rental as you get closer to game time to mimic the real lab experience.  When you take the lab, it's you, a PC, and a bank of phones.  No substitute for that experience when that time comes. 

GL tomorrow and let us know how it goes.  
    MT

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 3, 2013, at 5:39 PM, Bobfromfpl <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Hello future and current voice guru's!

Hope everyone had a decent holiday period and weren't called in for any outages ;)

I am retaking the CVOICE exam tomorrow, unfoturnately I failed last time around.  Although I felt very confident the first time it wasn't enough.  Tried brushing up on concepts and topics and understand my own pitfalls with Cisco exams.  Hopefully better luck this next attempt!  I've been lurking the forums and watching Mark's videos a few times now and supplement with reading through the Sybex CVOICE 8.0 book, hopefully this pushes me over the edge!

If I pass this exam I think I'm going to weigh the costs of buying lab gear or renting rack time for the next few exams.  Unfortunately I don't get the exposure or hands on experience to most of the material being discussed thus far,  my job consists of mainly tedious day to day things in CUCM which ultimately just feel lke busy work, so I need to try to get the experience one way or another.  There's nothing like being in a CLI and making magic happen, you guys know that feeling im sure! :)

So anyways, good luck to everyone who is studying, keep up the motivation and drive! 

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • Hi Bob,

My opinion is that Cisco certification maintains value because in order to pass any blueprint:

1. One MUST have strong understanding of the technology covered.
    2. One MUST demonstrate that understanding via practical application (troubleshooting, configuring, etc.).
    3. One should know about prequisite commands.  Before I can configure this, I must . . .
    4. One should have strong understanding of DEFAULT behavior.
    Like it or not, practical experience via any reasonable combination of on the job, home lab or rack rental will be required.

Here's hoping that tomorrow will be the day that you will be able to put a check mark by each of the above.

Ernie

• Thanks guys for the responses..

I imagine obtaining some gear is going to be the best result for my situation, I have some coworkers who recently passed their CCIE R&S written and working towards the lab, perhaps I can coax them into splitting the price of the gear and we can all benefit from it lol.

I sit the test in about 90 minutes, I'll report my status later today

• Alright... success the second time around!  1 down 4 to go :)

Now to start pricing out equipment, thanks guys for your suggestions!

• Congratulations on your success! Ebay always has some reasonably priced devices.

Best wishes for the remaining exams.

• Hello again all!

So far I've compiled a few items..

2x 2801 (each with 1x PVDM2-32, 1x VWIC-2MFT-E1/T1 and only 1 with a VIC-2FXO card)

In transit

1x 2811 (includes PVDM and AIM-CUE)

1x 3750 POE

4 x 7961

1x ESX Server with CUCM

With this I think it will allow to me to begin some solid hands on troubleshooting but can anyone else offer any additional insight that I may be missing?  I tried to follow other forum posts guides.  

I'm about a week into the CIPT1 Cisco Book and halfway through Mark's CIPT1 videos.  I hope to sit the exam before the end of this month, I'm leaving country for vacation for two weeks and this would be icing on the cake! lol

Hope everyone has been staying true to their new years resolutions! :)