MultiCast MOH from 2 Voice Gateway

Hello, I had a questions, might not be a CCIE Question.

I had 2 Voice Gateway and the CUCM is configured with the MOH Server to stream MOH via 239.1.1.1, port 16384, increament via IP.

I had 2 x Call Manager and 2 x Voice Gateway. and would like the Multicast MOH to be stream whichever 1 x equipment went down.

How should I achieve this?

Can I do the following?

Publisher, MOH: 239.1.1.1 port 16384 (increament via IP)
Subscriber, MOH: 293.1.1.5 port 16384 (Increament via IP)

Voice Gateway 1: configured 2391.1.1.1 port 16384 under the call-manager-fallback
Voice Gateway 2: configured 2391.1.1.1 port 16384 under the call-manager-fallback

then on the Interfaces of Voice gateway 1 (loopback and connection to LAN), i configure ip pim dr-priority 100
on the interface of Voice Gateway 2, i configure IP pim dr-priority 99

Can this work?

Will there be 2 stream of music heard from the MOH Source?

if the Publisher Fails, will the phones get the multicast ip of 239.1.1.5?

Please enlighten me.

Regards,

YL

Comments

• Hi,

If you mean '2 CallManager' as Publisher and Subscriber and not two standalone clusters then you dont' need to increment IP Address as you mentioned. Enable multicasting from both PUB and SUB (inslde the server configs) also on the MRG(including both SUB and PUB) you create. Configure 'ip pim dense-mode' on each outgoing interface from CUCM towards any site IP Phones also towards PSTN. That's all!

At this model, if any of PUB or SUB is down the MRG will be still active with backup MoH server. But any of the servers will be active at the same time. If you want to design active/active model you have to create two different MRG for two different type of set of IP phones/device pool.

Hope this clears.

• Hi YL,

Yes, your configuration should work fine. 
    As you mentioned, if you require streaming the MoH from a remote router, there is no backup option in the call-manager-fallback with the moh multicast command. You would need to have a 2nd router as you have proposed. 
    Just make sure that in UCM, that both your multicast MoH servers are available in the same MRGL to your phones, and all should be well. If you require that the Publisher is first, then you need to put the Pub MMoH and Sub MMoH server in separate MRGs, but assign them in the proper order to the same MRGL, then assign that MRGL to the DP of the phone that needs to hear the MoH.

Kind Regards,

Mark Snow
    CCIE #14073
    (Voice, Security)
    Instructor

- docendo discitur

On Nov 26, 2012, at 10:29 PM, yenlung <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello, I had a questions, might not be a CCIE Question.

I had 2 Voice Gateway and the CUCM is configured with the MOH Server to stream MOH via 239.1.1.1, port 16384, increament via IP.

I had 2 x Call Manager and 2 x Voice Gateway. and would like the Multicast MOH to be stream whichever 1 x equipment went down.

How should I achieve this?

Can I do the following?

Publisher, MOH: 239.1.1.1 port 16384 (increament via IP)
    Subscriber, MOH: 293.1.1.5 port 16384 (Increament via IP)

Voice Gateway 1: configured 2391.1.1.1 port 16384 under the call-manager-fallback
    Voice Gateway 2: configured 2391.1.1.1 port 16384 under the call-manager-fallback

then on the Interfaces of Voice gateway 1 (loopback and connection to LAN), i configure ip pim dr-priority 100
    on the interface of Voice Gateway 2, i configure IP pim dr-priority 99

Can this work?

Will there be 2 stream of music heard from the MOH Source?

if the Publisher Fails, will the phones get the multicast ip of 239.1.1.5?

Please enlighten me.

Regards,

YL

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Hello Mark,

I howver face the following problem, if, let say GW 1 fails but the both the CUCM Remain.

I will be hearing Silent in my MOH Stream, as the Phone are still getting the Stream from 239.1.1.1, but, the Stream from where the Router is Source is down.

Also,

If I used 239.1.1.5, would it be for the Second Audio File on the CUCM?

Do let me know if I had got my concept mix up.

Regards,

Yen Lung

• Hi,

Anyone could enlighten me?

Regards,

Yen Lung

• I understand you want to built a MOH design that utilizes multicast. From your previous posts, it seemed that the audio would be sourced from CUCM.  Is that not the case? In your most recent email, you asked what would happen if the router went down. The only way audio would NOT play in that scenario is if you were sourcing the MOH file from flash.

If you are sourcing the MOH from flash, the TTL in CUCM for the multicast source needs to be set very low, perhaps 1, to disable the sending of the multicast MOH beyond the CUCM servers. In such a scenario, you are only configuring CUCM in order to include the multicast IP address in the phone's configuration. In this way, you "trick" the phones into using the source on the router's flash.

Am I understanding you correctly?

• Hi Guru

I do apologies, I am actually asking for Multicast MOH from Gateway, as per my title.

I think I understand your concept.

But if the Primary Source (Gateways fails) the MOH played will be a Blank Stream. Is there any way to overcome this? (The CUCM is still asking the phone to stream from the Primary Stream)

If I configure the both Gateway as "multicast moh 239.1.1.1 port 16384 route X.X.X.X Y.Y.Y.Y, then both stream will be played to the Phones, not sure if ip pim dr-priority plays a part here.
    Even if ip pim dr-priority plays a part, if the MOH Server is down, it will failover to another, there is no multicast stream to play from the Secondary Soure

Is there any way to overcome this?

Regards,

Yen Lung