Voice Mail during SRST

Hello,

I understand that there are a few method for Voice Mail during SRST. However, unsure of the steps needed (I tested them on a Production Server.

1. Using Alternated Extension.

2. Using VM Integration

3. Using Redirected Number

When I configure VM Integration (my configuration as below:)

telephony-service (or Call-Manager-Fallback)
 voice mail 2010

vm-integration
pattern direct * CGN #
pattern ext-to-ext no-answer # FDN #2
pattern ext-to-ext busy # FDN #2
pattern trunk-to-ext no-answer # FDN #2
pattern trunk-to-ext busy # FDN #2

dial-peer voice 2010 pots
 destination-pattern 2010
 prefix 6560302010
 port 0/0/0:15

I am getting a busy-out instead of being connected to the Voice Mail Server, what could be wrong?

Also,

If I am to used RDNIS, what are the command that is needed?
I believed I would need a Translation of the Redirected Number, but what if I am using a MGCP Gateway on the site where Unity Connection is seated?

I believe this is tested in the Lab, and alternate extension should not be used.

I had search around, where only 4 Digit Calling Number is send from Branch X across the PSTN to HQ. Does that break the rules in the Lab?

And, in real life, how was it done?

Thanks in advance for the reply,

Yen Lung

Comments

• Hi,

I dont see vm-integration method in real life deployment. Use the redirected number method which is the easiest and most realistic solution. You don't need any specific configuration on the SRST gateway side, here is the config example of gateway:

call-manager-fallback
    voicemail 912221111
    call-forward busy 912221111
    call-forward noan 912221111 timeout 10

On the UCM gateway configuration side you need to enable the 'redirecting number ie delivery - inbound' which is applicable for both MGCP and H.323 gateway.

Now active 'debug isdn q931' into your HQ gateway to check if your gateway is is receiving redirecting number in the field 'Redirected Number i' - it should be there. Don't worry about translating the number, your UCM will be sending this number automatically (without any extra configuration needed) to Unity Connection as a calling number so that you get the personal greeting.

I have tested this on production and lab - you can try this also.

• Hello Kind Sir,

So for Redirecting Number, as it is sending as Calling Number to the Unity Connection, it will be in the E164 format, so, when it hit the Unity Connection, how can it reached the respective Voicemail box?

Thanks.

Hi,

I dont see vm-integration method in real life deployment. Use the redirected number method which is the easiest and most realistic solution. You don't need any specific configuration on the SRST gateway side, here is the config example of gateway:

call-manager-fallback
    voicemail 912221111
    call-forward busy 912221111
    call-forward noan 912221111 timeout 10

On the UCM gateway configuration side you need to enable the 'redirecting number ie delivery - inbound' which is applicable for both MGCP and H.323 gateway.

Now active 'debug isdn q931' into your HQ gateway to check if your gateway is is receiving redirecting number in the field 'Redirected Number i' - it should be there. Don't worry about translating the number, your UCM will be sending this number automatically (without any extra configuration needed) to Unity Connection as a calling number so that you get the personal greeting.

I have tested this on production and lab - you can try this also.

• It's the 'redirecting number' not the 'calling number'. If you enable trace in central gateway you will find there are three number - called number, calling number and redirected number. However, if it's still e.164 format you still can setup external number mask 'XXXX' at the VM Ports in UCM. But before setting the mask please check the trace - it shud be 4 digits.

• For voicemail in srst there are 2 scenarios:

1. Someone (PSTN or IP Phone) calls SB/SC phone and the call must be redirected to voicemail. Redirect number is used and usually there are 4 digits so you get the correct subscriber greeting message. As Mijanur said, check to see (Q.931) that (a) the redirecting number leaves SB/SC site (b) it reaches HQ GW and (c) you have redirect inbound

2. SB/SC phone wants to check voicemail and then he places a direct call to voicemail. If it states that PSTN accepts 4 digit calling number then it's ok. But I always put XXXX in Voice mail profile - Voice mailbox mask.

• The voicemail mask is your best friend for normalizing numbers entering into Unity Connection.  Your other option would be to configure an alternate extension under the mailbox in Unity Connection.

• I was just lab testing his same scenario today and found that  I was having an issue with th rdnis showing up at the hq router. 

I can see the redirecting header leaving the srst site in the isdn  q931 MSG but it does not show up at the mgcp gateway at the hq rorouter.

i have enabled the isdn redirecting command on the srst serial interface and on the mgcp gw at the hq

has anyone got his to work in the ine labs? Does the lab pstn pass the redirection message?

trent