Lab 4 Q.4.21 (Mobility) : Multiple issues with the solution provided ?...

Hi All,

I am currently working at Lab 4 Q.4.21 (Mobility) and I have some questions concerning the solution provided…

We want to globalize the calling number when going to PSTN and the solution provides this :
!
voice translation-rule 11
  rule 1 /^2065011...$/ /&/ type any subscriber
  rule 2 /^15126022...$/ /&/ type any national
  rule 3 /^31.*/ /+/ type any international

rule 4 /^206501.*/ /+1/ type any subscriber

rule 5 /^1512602.*/ /+/ type any national

!
voice translation-rule 21
  rule 1 // // type any subscriber
!
voice translation-profile Add_ANI_Type_LOCAL
  translate calling 11
  translate called 21
!

1/ I do understand that rules 3-4-5 give us E164 format for calling number in PSTN at US or NL… but what if it comes from another area code of the US or from another country (+33 for France, etc. ?). I know that the PSTN Phone at INE can't call from another area code or country, but I don't think the solution provided is accurate enough...

2/ It seems to me that the solution provided will never transform my internal DN 2001 which is calling DN 1002 who has a Remote Destination active at PSTN... as the Calling Number Mask would change 2001 to 5126022001. Shouldn’t we have rules for all three internal mask possible at each site :
- rule 6 /^5126022.*/ /+1/ type any national
- rule 7 /^0(20703.*)/ /+311/ type any international
- etc ?

3/ Last but not least, I did notice that if we select “Use Calling Party’s External Phone Number Mask” on the Translation Pattern – as the solution provided does, the mask is not used when the call is forwarded toward the remote destination (Mobile phone at PSTN) by the Remote Destination Profile.
This is very strange… the only way to force the use of the Calling External Phone Number Mask when forwarding to Remote Destination seems to check it at Route Group level… Did I miss something concerning the solution provided or am I correct at Route Group level ?

Best regards,
SB.

Comments

• Interesting - let me verify the configs, will get back to you soon. But the solutions are well verified and tested.

• Here are the answers for you:

#1: Don't worry about calling from other locations, CCIE lab talks about call routing among three sites only. Sometime they introduce another site at PSTN location and they mention the site code/dialing rule clearly. Dont' worry about call routing from other countries/locations.

#2.If you are dialing 1002 from SiteB phone 2001, and the call is routing to home/mobile phones as a remote destination through CorpHQ gateway - the calling number on CorpHQ gateway should be starting from 1512XXXXXXX, remember the prefix '1'. So you never need to add the TR 6/7 as you mentioned.

#3. Not clear which TP you are talking about? Please mention the task number. I couldn't find any TP on task 4.21.

HTH.

• Thank you for your answer.

#1 : OK, but we answer the question in a very particular case ;-...

#2 : I am not sure to understand.

For example, calling DN is 2001 and his external phone number mask is 512602XXXX. If we choose to activate "Use Calling Party’s External Phone Number Mask” on any TP or RP ( +! , etc.) , Calling Number becomes 5126022001. And we usually do add the 1 US code at the beginning of the Calling Number on the HQ gateway before to exit the call towards PSTN.

That's why I think we won't match rule 5 in the solution and I do propose to fully globalize as E.164 format with :
       rule 6 /^5126022.*/ /+1/ type any national .

The same with BR2 : DN is 3001, mask is 020703XXXX and we would need :
       rule 7 /^0(20703.*)/ /+311/ type any international

#3. > Not clear which TP you are talking about? Please mention the task number. I couldn't find any TP on task 4.21

Yes, I was not very clear after re-reading my own post ;-! I meant that when we choose "Use Calling Party’s External Phone Number Mask" on any Translation Pattern or Route Pattern, it seems to have no effect on Calling DN when forwarding call outside towards Remote Destination at PSTN. Not very relevant to see a Calling Number of 2001 on your Mobile Phone, isn't it ?

The only way to force the use of the External Phone Number Mask seems to choose to use it at Route Groupe level when configuring Route List... but maybe I missed something ?