Task 1.2 -- doesn't storm control block all traffic and not just traffic in excess?

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but doesn't storm control block all traffic when the violation rate is exceeded and just just traffic in excess of the rate?

Would using storm control on a unicast internet connection in this manner be bad -- compared to alternatives -- like srr-queue?

Comments

• your right , 

its a hard block , not just excess , its like a hard block on all traffic, that the way i have seen it work ..

and in answer to your question , NO i would not use to rate limit any traffic , i would allways use some sort of QOS mechanism.

it will work , in the same way that smashing you tap with a hammer will stop it leaking water.. just not the most effective.

from the lab persepctive , its a good "tip" to know....

hth

• Ok, so it will cause yuor internet connection to go down for 30 seconds (or whatever the timer is) every time someone starts a file download and exceeds the rate!  I guess if your ISP did this, his circuits would be flapping up and down all day.

Yeah, that's why I used srr-queue, even though it's outbound only (against the rules) -- and considered the posted storm-control based solution for internet connection rate limiting to be not correct.  Yet the solution guide provides this.

In any case -- a police of some nature is probably best -- the but lab scenario doesn't allow policing.

• Why do you say that srr-queue is against the rules ? Is srr not shaping anyway ?

I used srr-queue too, and my solution looked like that :

int f0/24
     speed 10
     srr-queue bandwidth limit 30

However, i was wondering if enabling "mls qos" at the global level is necessary or not for this to take effect ? It looks like it s not, but I am not sure about it.

Cheers.

• Looks like you would have to enable mls qos before this settings would actually take:

Before enabling QOS

------------------------------

Rack5SW2#show mls qos interface fastEthernet 0/24 queueing

FastEthernet0/24

QoS is disabled. When QoS is enabled, following settings will be applied

Egress Priority Queue : disabled

Shaped queue weights (absolute) :  25 0 0 0

Shared queue weights  :  25 25 25 25

The port bandwidth limit : 30  (Operational Bandwidth:30.44)

The port is mapped to qset : 1

After Enabling QOS 

---------------------------------------

conf t

mls qos

end

Rack5SW2#show mls qos interface fastEthernet 0/24 queueing

FastEthernet0/24

Egress Priority Queue : disabled

Shaped queue weights (absolute) :  25 0 0 0

Shared queue weights  :  25 25 25 25

The port bandwidth limit : 30  (Operational Bandwidth:30.44)

The port is mapped to qset : 1