Cisco IP Communicator Blank Screen

We are running Cisco IP Communicator 7.0.6 on several PC's in the
building. There is one PC in particular that works for every user
account except for one, and it just started doing it. On this users
account when the CIPC is opened it just sits on a black/blank screen and
nothing happens. I can run it as an administrator and it works fine.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling to no avail. Tried editing the
registry like one of Cisco's KB articles says to do, but no luck. Anyone
have any suggestions other than reformatting?

Thanks!

Comments

• A known issue with bug ID CSCts11852, have you tried to follow the workaround suggested there? I have copied the bug detail and workarounds:

CSCts11852 Bug Details
    CIPC halt in blank during startup due to corrupted registry

Symptom:

CIPC stuck in blank screen during startup because of corrupted registry hive.

Conditions:

It is an intermittent issue, it could happen on all available version including 8.6.1. Upgrade version without deleting registry hive [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareCisco Systems, Inc.CommunicatorDevice] does not help

Workaround:

1. identify the corrupted hive by searching the keyword loading halt from CIPC problem report, below traces shows that the registry hive [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareCisco Systems, Inc.CommunicatorDevicedevice.calls.placed] was corrupted.

Wed Aug 03 08:48:21.109 : SPCL : ( 4920) -RegHlp| Java_cip_props_Win32Registry_readString(val553): Win32RegistryReadValueSize return 0 length
    Wed Aug 03 08:48:21.109 : DET : ( 4916) -VM| timermgr MQThread|SystemManager:? - Error preloading module "Property Manager"/propertymgr(3): java.lang.RuntimeException: Read Default Value Method Not Implemented device.calls.placed
    Wed Aug 03 08:48:21.109 : ERROR : ( 4916) timermgr MQThread|SystemManager:? - Error preloading module "Property Manager"/propertymgr(3): java.lang.RuntimeException: Read Default Value Method Not Implemented device.calls.placed
    Wed Aug 03 08:48:22.477 : DET : ( 4916) 12:48:21a|java.lang.RuntimeException: Read Default Value Method Not Implemented device.calls.placed at cip.props.Property$DefaultableImpl.readDefaultValue(Unknown Source)
    Wed Aug 03 08:48:22.477 : DET : ( 4916) -VM| timermgr MQThread|SystemManager:? - propertymgr/"Property Manager", loading halted 

2. delete the registry hive found in step 1 and restart CIPC.

Also, this issue is fixed on v8.6(1.4), and my suggestion is to upgrade the CIPC to the said version if the issue still persists.

• I tried the registry edit. No help at all. To upgrade don't we have to purchase the new software?

• No you don't need to purchase if your software subscription (UCSS) is still active. Check with your vendor/supplier to check this. Even they can help you to get the new updated software. The license you don't need as you already have.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:19 PM, nathan0726 <[email protected]> wrote:

I tried the registry edit. No help at all. To upgrade don't we have to purchase the new software?

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• So theres no other Fix for this issue? Its so strange that every user has no issue with it working except this one. And when longed in to her account I can run it as administrator and it works fine.

• This is a known issue and Cisco already declared this as a bug, the workaround is also suggested there. Surely Cisco have recommended the best possible workaround to get rid of this issue. But still if you have followed them to get rid of this, upgrading the software should be next approach.

Besides this, have you checked the windows permission issue if your user account have sufficient privilege on CIPC system files? Just a thought. (As you said the Admin user doesn't have any issue).

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM, nathan0726 <[email protected]> wrote:

So theres no other Fix for this issue? Its so strange that every user has no issue with it working except this one. And when longed in to her account I can run it as administrator and it works fine.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Well the user that has the issue had no problems with it until today, it's always worked just fine. No permission changes or anything.

• I'm having the same issue     v 8.6.1.0

looking at the work around    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareCisco
    Systems, Inc.CommunicatorDevice] does not help

win 7 64 bit my registry entries are different   I dont see (device)  It ends  at   HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareCisco
    Systems, Inc.Communicator

• MijanurRahman:

Thanks for the useful workaround you posted on 08-27-2012
    11:45 AM.. It worked for me with CIPC 8.6.1.0.

Specifically, I performed these steps: 

Ran Cisco ‘CIPC Problem Report’.

Opened CIPC-ProblemReport0.zip that was placed
    on desktop.

Opened ProblemReport0.zipUsersEdAppDataLocalCiscoCommunicatorTraceFile_0014.txt. 

Searched TraceFile for ‘loading halted’ & found it in area of ‘device.calls.received’.

Deleted [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareCisco
    Systems, Inc.CommunicatorDevicedevice.calls.received].

Started Communicator successfully.