VTP related issue.

Minimum requirements(configurations) to be done in vtp to communnicate vlan information between two switches?(choose 2)

a)each end of trunk list must be set to the ieee 802.1q encapsulation.

b)the vtp management domain name on bothe the switches must be set as same.

c)one of the two switches must be configured as vtp server

please can some one explian me the best two options. cos what i think is a and b to be correct taking that all switches are by default in vtp server mode but the todd lammle book gives ans as b & c.

thanks

Comments

• Hi Cracknut,

You're right but probably options B & C are the correct one because of the scenario or preconfiguration present on the question if given any. Did he explain why are these questions correct?

Minimum requirements(configurations) to be done in vtp to communnicate vlan information between two switches?(choose 2)

a)each end of trunk list must be set to the ieee 802.1q encapsulation.

b)the vtp management domain name on bothe the switches must be set as same.

c)one of the two switches must be configured as vtp server

please can some one explian me the best two options. cos what i think is a and b to be correct taking that all switches are by default in vtp server mode but the todd lammle book gives ans as b & c.

thanks

• what he is telling is 

1)u shuld have same vtp domain--- ofcourse, i too agree with it

2)atleast one switch must be in server mode others may be in client--- confused!!

no prior configuration is given and also image

• ...and also no specific topology is beibg referred!!

• You're right and below is the guidelines from Cisco in how to configure VTP:

• All switches have the same the VTP domain name, unless the network design insists for different VTP domains.

Note: Trunk negotiation does not work across VTP domains. Refer to the Data Traffic Blocked between VTP Domains section of Troubleshooting VLAN Trunk Protocol (VTP) for more information.

• All switches in a VTP domain must run the same VTP version.

• All switches in a VTP domain has the same VTP password, if there is any.

• All VTP Server switch(es) should have the same configuration revision number and it should also be the highest in the domain.

• When you move a VTP mode of a switch from Transparent to Server, VLANs configured on the VTP Transparent switch should exist on the Server switch.

You can read more here http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080890607.shtml

...and also no specific topology is beibg referred!!

• thanks ricardo :-)

so it seems if a similar question pops up in exam i can go with these rules n make it correct.

have my ccna this tuesday.

• Yes. I would first read the topic from the official documentation (Cisco) and then lab it up.

BTW good luck with your exam!

thanks ricardo :-)

so it seems if a similar question pops up in exam i can go with these rules n make it correct.

have my ccna this tuesday.

• min. requirement is option B & C since encapsulation can be different (but must match on both ends).

This simply means that you can run ISL on both switch or 802.1q on both switch.

• thanks ryan!! this is what i was missing. thanks

• Option a is too specific, it does NOT have to be only a dot1q trunk. Even though, ISL is pretty much gone nowadays, you can transmit VTP messages over an ISL trunk. The connection between the switches need to be a trunk; it could be ISL or dot1q.

Good luck with your exam.

• thanks qqabdal

any help regarding the last minute preparations in any sort either braindumps, important topics or recent trend regarding the simulation questions is more than welcome with heartily thanks.