IGMP helper address

Hello!

I have multicast tunnel betwen two routers. I would like to pass igmp join/leave etc messages from one to another. At client site i use ip igmp helper-address to first router where i can get multicast streams. igmp packets gets to first router but are not send out. I use pim dense-mode. I would like to specify interface name in ip igmp help-address commad but command only accept IP address. Should i use some other command (ip igmp proxy or something else) to send out igmp packets on proper interface.

Thanks, best regards

Peter

Comments

• is this related to vol1 "8.21 Stub Multicast Routing & IGMP Helper" ?

• Dear Peter,

Please Post a Topology and clarify your need.

• Hello!

Topology is like on this link http://gns3vault.com/Multicast/multicast-stub-a-igmp-helper.html

I use ip igmp helper-address on both routers hop by hop ... I also use pim between both routers without neighbour-filter.

Murdock:

ip multicast-routing

ip pim bidir-enable

ip mroute VideoStation -> BA (for rpf check since router has default route and so on ...)

lan interface

ip igmp helper-address BA

ip pim dense-mode

BA:

ip multicast-routing

ip pim bidir-enable

interface to murdock

ip pim dense-mode

ip igmp helper-address "broadcast address of interface to VideoStation"

ip route "broadcast address of interface to VideoStation" -> interface to VideoStation

This configuration works, but I would say that there is a better way ,...

• Dear Peter,

The whole purpose of IGMP helper address is not to use PIM join/prune messages, thus creating "PIM stub domain". Currently the topology works for you because of PIM dense-mode not igmp helper-address feature

Non-standard multicast traffic recieved on non-pim enabled interface will be dropped. Igmp message re-routing works only through pim enabled interfaces with no pim neighbour. B/c of these combination efects, you must enable pim neighbour-filter on murdock's link to BA.

Also it is useless to use igmp helper address on BA b/c :

1. BA is the DR next to the multicast source VideoStation.
    2. It works only if the upstream device is a PIM aware device and not the multicast source.

I recommend you configure like this:

Murdock:

ip multicast-routing

ip pim bidir-enable           // no need, since you are testing only one-direction traffic

ip mroute VideoStation     // no need, since there is only one possible path and default route will do just fine.

!

Lan interface to client

ip igmp helper-address BA

ip pim dense-mode

!

interface to BA

ip pim dense-mode

!

BA:

ip multicast-routing

ip pim bidir-enable           // no need, since you are testing only one-direction traffic

!

interface to murdock

ip pim dense-mode

ip pim neighbour-filter 99

ip igmp helper-address "broadcast address of interface to VideoStation"     // totally no use 

!

interface to videostation

ip pim dense-mode

!

access-list 99 deny  BA's address

access-list 99 permit any

!

ip route "broadcast address of interface to VideoStation" -> interface to VideoStation  // no use