Consider procuring CCVP enroute CCIE Voice?

Hi Folks:

I would like to ask your advice and suggestion.

I am a Messaging guy and have installed and supported Cisco Unity 4/5 in enterprise scale; but that's as close I can get to sniff telephony. I started studying Voice in 2009 and attended the CCIE Voice course with only CVOICE and CIPT knowledge. I flunked and wasted my money. Last fall I bought the INE voice materials and built my voice lab as per INE topology. I have listened to the the CCVP and CCIE VOICE ATC and have almost completed my Workbook 1 labs. I will start my Workbook 2 end of this month. I have started to log my lab hours (suggested by voiceguru) and average about 75 hours a month.

My contract at work is due to come to an end I really would like to get into Voice technology. I don't have my CCVP. My initial plan was to go straight for the CCIE Voice certification. Some of my IT friends suggested that I should get my CCVP and keep working toward my CCIE. They said that getting a CCVP is much faster and that I would have a certification to show on my resume. But since my CCNA has expired, I would have to take my CCNA, CCNA(V), and CCVP. That would be 7 papers and $$$.

Should I ge get my CCVP or use the CCVP exam money toward my first CCIE Voice attempt / CCIE one week bootcamp? I also plan to look for a job south of the 49 parallel and perhaps a CCVP cert could be of some help.

Thank you for any suggestion.

ShaunP

Comments

• Shaun,
        As painful as it is to say, I think you should absolutely get you VP first (well, ccnp voice). Unfortunately, hiring managers want to see the letters unless you can show that you've been active in voice for X years.  Since its kind of a technical shift, you don't have that to offset the cert.  It's an obvious cost, but you need to think of it as an investment.  It will very likely help getting a position that will encourage, if not fund, the CCIE path.  

GL

Sent from my phone, apologies for any typos.

On Jul 16, 2012, at 10:45 PM, Voiper <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Folks:

I am a Messaging guy and have installed and supported Cisco Unity 4/5 in enterprise scale; but that's as close I can get to sniff telephony. I started studying Voice in 2009 and attended the CCIE Voice course with only CVOICE and CIPT knowledge. I flunked and wasted my money. Last fall I bought the INE voice materials and built my voice lab as per INE topology. I have listened to the the CCVP and CCIE VOICE ATC and have almost completed my Workbook 1 labs. I will start my Workbook 2 end of this month. I have started to log my lab hours (suggested by voiceguru) and average about 75 hours a month.

My contract at work is due to come to an end I really would like to get into Voice technology. I don't have my CCVP. My initial plan was to go straight for the CCIE Voice certification. Some of my IT friends suggested that I should get my CCVP and keep working toward my CCIE. They said that getting a CCVP is much faster and that I would have a certification to show on my resume. But since my CCNA has expired, I would have to take my CCNA, CCNA(V), and CCVP. That would be 7 papers and $$$.

Should I ge get my CCVP or use the CCVP exam money toward my first CCIE Voice attempt / CCIE one week bootcamp? I also plan to look for a job south of the 49 parallel and perhaps a CCVP cert could be of some help.

ShaunP

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • As far as I know , CVOICE paper is called CCNA-Voice as well. After CCNA , you may move on to CCVP (or now CCNP Voice) ; CCIE(Voice - Written) in your resume also have some value.

Toughest & most expensive is CCIE Voice Lab ,

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Voiper <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Folks:

ShaunP

• I agree with Michael Thompson.  Having the CCNP Voice will help in the job hunting process.

If you want to go for the CCIE Voice, I'd highly suggest that you pick up the CCNP Voice along the way. Passing the tests will (1) encourage you and give you a sense of accomplishment on your CCIE journey.  Beyond that, (2) you're going to need to know the CCNP Voice information anyway. If so, why not jump through a few hoops and get an extra cert along the way?

• Thanks Michael for the quick response and thoughtful suggestion. I am glad I posted this question as it had been playing in my mind a lot.

Best

ShaunP

• Thanks CCVOICE11 for the information.

ShaunP

• Hi Matthew:

I will start with my CCNA and CCVP. Maybe this is something that has subconsciously stopped me from applying for Telephony jobs.

Much appreciated for the advice and enjoy your blogs

Best

ShaunP

• I can speak from experience.  I tried to go from CCNA Voice to CCIE Voice about a  few years ago when I got back into voice after leaving my old voice job in 2009.  I fell flat on my face.  I had huge gaps of knolowdge.  I had the experience at that point of instalilng a 2500 3 site CUCM/Unity system.  When I tried to get other jobs that were purley voice I was lacking the experinece as I had only known MGCP.  I did however found a company that took a chance on me on the condition that I got my CCNP Voice(CCVP) at the time.  That was the best thing that could have happend to me.  I went back study my butt off and knocked out the remaining test in little over a year and was able to move into a Lead Engineer role shortly after.  During my year long of study I was able to really see what voice was all about, so build up yourself and have milestones.

• Hi Shodown:

Glad to hear your experience and good that your hard work has paid off.

But isn't CCNP/CCVP exams kindda like MCSE? The majority of the people read the various vendor questions and pass the exams. Even though some students would want to do some hands on, there are not many options. Most of the online institutes cater to CCIE labs. Hence, I decided to build my own rack. Further, I find that by preparing for the CCIE Voice exam, I am also ready for the CCNP(V) and vice-versa. Take INE for example. The CCNA Voice and CCNP Voice videos are exactly the same as the CCIE Deep Dive and Workbook 1 modules. I have opened and played videos from all the three tracks simultaneously and they sound in unison. I did start with the CCNA Voice modules but as they seem identical with the CCIE Workbook1 and DD videos which prompted me to work on the CCIE Voice track. However, like you have all said it will give me a sense of accomplishment and something to show for; this is the take home message and I will heed it.

Thanks,
    ShaunP

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM, shodown <[email protected]> wrote:

I can speak from experience.  I tried to go from CCNA Voice to CCIE Voice about a  few years ago when I got back into voice after leaving my old voice job in 2009.  I fell flat on my face.  I had huge gaps of knolowdge.  I had the experience at that point of instalilng a 2500 3 site CUCM/Unity system.  When I tried to get other jobs that were purley voice I was lacking the experinece as I had only known MGCP.  I did however found a company that took a chance on me on the condition that I got my CCNP Voice(CCVP) at the time.  That was the best thing that could have happend to me.  I went back study my butt off and knocked out the remaining test in little over a year and was able to move into a Lead Engineer role shortly after.  During my year long of study I was able to really see what voice was all about, so build up yourself and have milestones.

• The test is very simular to taking those type of test.  However I will say someone without extensive experience it would very hard to pass those test.  CIPT2 and CVOICE are monstorus test to complete.  The CCIE V rack rentals can pretty much cover the majority of the topics.  SAF,CCD and a few other 8x/15 IOS features are new, but thats info you need anyway if you plan on "working in voice".