isdn CNAM

i am having doubt in using these commands in certain switch types ...

can anyone tell the usage of these commands and where to apply..

isdn outoing display-ie

isdn outgoing ie display   

isdn outgoing ie facilty  

isdn supp-service name calling(i had seen this command was used along with both ie display and ie facility)..  

Comments

• isdn outgoing display-ie

To enable the display information element to be sent in the outgoing ISDN message if provided by the upper layers, such as voice or modem. To disable the displaying of the information element in the outgoing ISDN message, use the no form of this command.

The isdn outoing display-ie command is direction dependent, such as network-to-user or user-to-network. Not all ISDN switch types support the isdn outgoing display-ie command. The following shows the direction dependency by switch type, and this command can be used to override the dependency:

• ETSI (NTT, NET3,and NET5)—Only network-to-user
    • DMS—Both ways
    • TS014—Only network-to-user
    • TS013—Only network-to-user
    • 1TR6—Only network-to-user

Note The 4ESS, 5ESS, NI1, and NI2 switch types are not supported in any direction.

isdn outgoing ie

To specify that an information element (IE) may be passed in outgoing ISDN messages, use the isdn outgoing ie command in interface configuration mode. To specify that an IE may not be passed in outgoing ISDN messages, use the no form of this command.

Incompatibility between ISDN switch types at the originating and terminating gateways can prevent provided IEs from being passed end-to-end. Cisco devices can be configured to transparently pass unsupported IEs, allowing full interworking between different switch types.

Use the isdn outgoing ie command to configure a Cisco router to transparently pass unsupported IEs to its peer. IEs may be packed in any codeset. However, the isdn outgoing ie command can manually control IEs packed in codeset 0 only. IEs will be passed only in applicable message types.

Below is a link of the different IE values that can be sent.  The two you mentioned, "dislay" and "facility," are just a few of your options.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/dial/command/reference/dia_i2gt.html#wp1233360

As far as configuring caller-id support, I recommend starting with the "isdn outoing display-ie" command.  For the lab, that should suffice for ISDN PRI connections.  In the real world, you may need to tweak with IEs that are sent based on a lengthy, and sometimes frustrating, call with the carrier.

• thanks matthew ..i read the documentation link , but  according to isdn switch types we are using display- ie and facility-ie ..can you  differentiate both commands uniqueness?(what does facility means)...

And also whether these both commands require supp-services name calling command compulsorily....

• Set up a simple lab with two routers (preferably, non-MGCP gateways; one less to worry about i,e,. CUCM GWY/Trunk config) connected to PSTN router (using one E1 and T1 link). Some commands work on T1 link and some work on E1 only. Most of the common commands work on T1 & E1 link. Modify configuration for CNAM on TDM link at PSTN, Rtr1 and Rtr2 and make notes on how CNAM is sent using debug isdn q931 command on all the routers and verify on phone display. Make copious notes of your findings.

I am serious to become a CCIE-Voice and I believe that is one of the best way to achieve. If you think some command explanation in command reference does not mean what you see then that will make a good discussion point on this forums.