Which ine workbook labs require two 3560 switches?

I have a dynamips setup and looking to get four real switches.  The 3560 switches are crazy expensive compared to the 3550s.  So I'm wondering if I get by with four 3550s and if there is some need for 3560s then I'll use my rented rack time to do whichever labs that need 3560s.

Comments

• SW1 and SW2 for all of the INE workbooks are 3560s

SW3 and SW4 for all of the INE workbooks are 3550s

IMHO, buy at least two 3560s.

You should look at it as an investment in your career, not an expense.

• You'll be fine with just using the 3550's for your primary practice and then spending some time towards the end to focus on the differences by renting rack time for the 3560s.

Brian Dennis, CCIEx5 #2210 (R&S/ISP-Dial/Security/SP/Voice)

[email protected]

INE, Inc.

http://www.INE.com

Reply-To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    To: Brian Dennis <[email protected]>
    Subject: [hardware] Which ine workbook labs require two 3560 switches?

I have a dynamips setup and looking to get four real switches.  The 3560 switches are crazy expensive compared to the 3550s.  So I'm wondering if I get by with four 3550s and if there is some need for 3560s then I'll use my rented rack time to do whichever labs that need 3560s.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

• ok thanks.  Just bought 2 and getting 2 more 3550s.

• Hi Moccie,

I thought about buying my own switches however first tried INE racks and...am glad I didn't spend/invest money on it. Renting these racks is such a good deal, no electricity bills pain, no noise around you,etc...and also a great support, saving configs, loading configs etc...

Although if you like to see and touch the hardware...go for it.

Happy packets

AC

• IPv6 support is missing on 3550, private vlan as well, also QoS is very different compare with 3560.

• IPv6 support is missing on 3550, private vlan as well, also QoS is very different compare with 3560.

You can use rack rental to test these technologies, filling the gaps of the 3550. I used the same strategy; bought 4x3550 and did rack rental for these technologies.

Just my 2 cents