Need Serious Advise from Cisco Experts about Cisco Career Certifications

Dear Experts,

I really want your serious advise related to Cisco Career
Certifications which track should I choose which will fullfill themost
demanding requirements in the market for upcoming 5 - 10 Years. I did CCNA (R & S) and cleared CCNP (
Route + Switch- Troubleshoot remaning.)
 But still i am
seeking for Pure Network Engineer related job. I was planning that after
completing the CCNP i will go for CCIP and purchase the material from INE but now its also revised and turned
into Cisco SP & SP Operations.

I am asking from Cisco Experts what you sujjest for our type of
guys who are willing to do advance Cisco Professional certifications like CCNP
R&S and CCIP Service Provider or CCIP Operations but donot  have real
job experience & still in process of finding a job related to Network
Enginner or IP Core Engineer etc in Gulf (Saudi Arabia, UAE).

How I fullfill the element of
Experience???

Cisco recommends that before going to Professional Certifications
you should have 3-5 Years industry Experience in relevant domain.

Does it mean that  I should  stop doing Cisco Career
Certification and find a Network engineer job first on base of my CCNA
(R&S) and get experience and then go for Professional certifications?

What will be the advantage or disadvantage If i will do Cisco
Service Provider Certifications or approach CCIE R&S without any relevant
experience?

What would be our value in the market? 

Would I able to get my dream jobs??

I really appreciate your response according to real situations in the Market.

Thanks

Comments

• You don't have to have experience to do certs but it helps. The risk if you do too many certifications before having experience is that you could be overqualified for entry level jobs. I would look at getting any job possible, volunteer to help someone with their network etc.

Either go for CCNP SP or go for CCIE RS if you have the motivation for it but try to get some experience first.

• I'm not an expert, but I've been working in the ISP area of the industry for 10+ years.  I can tell you that at least from a personal POV, if someone showed up to a job interview with a CCIE but no related career experience, I'd be very surprised.  I'd actually say the same for CCNP (though TBH, even a paper tiger would be better than the usual faire we get around here).  Getting into the trenches(again IMO/IME), at least on some level, will be extremely important to establish your credibility.

•  

Hi,

Typically, it is better to get some work experience before CCNP. However, it depnds on market supply & demand in the country you want to work in. In some countries, there is shortage in certified people and qualified people as a whole comparing to the market demand, so even CCNP with little or no experience can get a job, especially if he can show the required knowledge and coupled that with hands on practicing. Getting CCNA is a good start, but in some locations/countries that might not be enough, even for an entry level job, because there are lot of non-experienced CCNAs there. Your choice in that case might be to move up to CCNP, but not for CCIE for sure.

Regards,

Bassam

• qqabdalqqabdal

Hi,

Just a few words on this topic. Experience speaks more than certification. I do think certs can open a whole horizon of new opportunities, but if you just know the theory or just labbed up on a sand box, you are less qualified than a network engineer working 5-10 years on the field with NO certification. 

I know network engineers who have built large scale networks that have been working for 20-30 years and don't have even CCNA.

On the other hand, the certification is good because it gives benefits to your company (not going to get into the details, as this is off-topic)

Just my 2 cents..

•  

Experience speaks more than certification

I agree completely with you. But I know how the market situation is in some countries, where there is a shortage in proffessionals for senior level positions, that is covered by outsourcing. For entry level positions on the other hand, the supply is more than the demand, and a local candidate that has already graduated, has to distinguish himself from other competitors. Certification is one way for that, and CCNA only might not be enough in some cases.

• How does one differentiate oneself when every one has a ccna?
    More jobs seem to mention ccnp especially positions related with networking but not Cisco kit, don't forget the number 2 and 3 vendors selling network equipment that are catching up fast and not forgetting to mention the Chinese vendor ,they are gaining momentum by just about providing every other piece of kit to services providers that Cisco does not.

• Could companies be using Cisco verifications in the future as a measure for job placement for other vendors equipment that do not have the same scale of certification programs that are reputable? , as everyone seems to be copying the Cisco formula even the naming conventions seem identical.

•  

Could companies be using Cisco verifications in the future as a measure for job placement for other vendors equipment that do not have the same scale of certification programs that are reputable?

I have seen some advertisements for non Cisco jobs that are asking for Cisco certifications. Concepts are the same. Even juniper offered what is called "fast track" for CCNPs to get juniper certifications.

• If you have Cisco certs and you are competing with someone else without certs at all you have a better chance at the job even if it is another vendor since that proves you at least have some network experience. If the other guy has that vendors cert then he would have a leg up of course.

I did some interviewing in the past and I was surprised that so called senior candidates couldn't even explain traceroute in a proper way or some routing tasks that I would call simple for a senior candidate and he was CCNP certified and said he new routing and BGP.

When doing interviews you should have a technical person attending the interview together with management. Otherwise management will show the person only with the best social skills which is also needed but you can't forget the technical aspect of it.

• I did some interviewing in the past and I was surprised that so called senior candidates couldn't even explain traceroute in a proper way or some routing tasks that I would call simple for a senior candidate and he was CCNP certified and said he new routing and BGP.

Sometimes, you will find CCNPs who don't know their stuff properly. This is a fact we are all know about. On the other hand, you could find someone with 5+ years of experience or so, but doesn't know some stuff that a typical CCNP knows, because his job scope is limited, and there are things he didn't use at his work at all, or even try to learn and read about. A technical interview will reveal both of cases.

• CarlosG2CarlosG2

I really want your serious advise related to Cisco Career
    Certifications which track should I choose which will fullfill themost
    demanding requirements in the market for upcoming 5 - 10 Years. I did CCNA (R & S) and cleared CCNP (
    Route + Switch- Troubleshoot remaning.)
     But still i am
    seeking for Pure Network Engineer related job. I was planning that after
    completing the CCNP i will go for CCIP and purchase the material from INE but now its also revised and turned
    into Cisco SP & SP Operations.

Hi umairshahidaziz,

Do you mean you are still in search of a Network engineering job?

I am not an expert as well, but my suggestion is just continue your search for the "Pure Networking job" that you want. While you are in search, just go on and study for CERTS. The new CCNP SP is a good choice since you already have CCNA and CCNP. The only important thing is you like the track you are studying and it is in-line to your goals.

Cisco recommends that before going to Professional Certifications
    you should have 3-5 Years industry Experience in relevant domain.

Does it mean that  I should  stop doing Cisco Career
    Certification and find a Network engineer job first on base of my CCNA
    (R&S) and get experience and then go for Professional certifications?

Forget about Cisco's recommended experience. The thing here is, sooner or later you will eventually find the Networking job you are looking for. By studying for Cisco certs, you are continuously adding knowledge and credential and it shows that you really want this career. Studying for cisco certs is better than just studying random networking technologies. When you land a job, you will be able to use knowledge/skills you have learned from this certs. You will not regret that you studied for Certs, you will be rewarded in one way or another.

If you were an employer, who will you hire between these two applicants:

1. An inexperienced person with few/no certs.

2. An inexperienced person with several associate and professional Certs.

Do you see my point? The second person is definitely more knowledgeable and knows what he is doing has higher chance of being employed. 

HTH

• I will suggest you strip down your CV and just get an entry
    position for now. Once you are in, you can then move up the ladder quickly
    since you have all the certs or just keep a close eye on the 2nd/3rd
    lines change jobs as soon as you feel comfortable with the technologies.

I hope this helps

• Hi Umair,

I just can tell you some years ago when working as tier 1 going to customer to sort out all type of issues with IT devices and software I found these dark boxes with label Cisco on it inside the comms rooms and went for CCNA...couldn't find work in networkin back home...moved to U.K. where I started as networking field engineer installing CPEs in customers sites and nowadays I work in the NOC of one big ISP...so my words are: NEVER GIVE UP :)

Happy packets

AC

• Hey Umair,

For me I think Experience is good but in life we have a very limit time where we have really the ability to focus and learn depending on your age, don't let experience stop your Dream. My advise is to continue to look for a network position while you are learning and practice, practice, practice is the key even @ home.

I remember 5 month ago i went to shadow with our network team (Tier 2) i can tell you within 2 week i was able to understand and master almost everything. I am 4 years CCNP without any experience.

My big problem was confidence and scares for interviews

So since then i realise how much i know and can do

Now i got confidence and i have started prepare for my CCIE.

If you have a knowledges nothing can stop you and you will understand everything quickly.

So my point is experience is better and you can have it anytime of your life but time is precious and take advatage of it so learn,

practice and get your certificates, i promise sooner or later you will have a good job.

Good Luck [:D]