should i buy some pci card for connecting my switches to my pc ?
my hardware is going to be 1) two 3550 24-EMI, 2) two 3560 24TS-EMI, 3) one 3750-24TS-EMI
total 5 switches
You can check my blog and see what I have used for the build up. DLink DFE580TX.
Nice. Bookmarked it.
i am trying to understand how you are consoling to the switches .
do you have some serial pci card on your pc ?
i am trying to connect to the switches directly from the pc rather than using a terminal server.
so you are using usb to rs232 cables for that .?
Thats an easy one:
- Just buy 4 console (rs232) usb adapters on ebay for really few dollars
- then depending on your OS (I used ubuntu) you can use the tool ser2net to forward local ports of you pc/server to those usb devices.
1) you are saying to connect from the usn port on the pc to the rs 232 port on the switch ?
2) some switches (say 3750 etc)are having rj45 console port. in that case how can i connect ?
I am planning to use 3750 as a breakout switch and direct vlan mapping method.
my topology will look like this
in this case i might be having R45 console ports on the switches 3750, 3560 so here i am think how can i connect these consoles to my PC.
For console access yes
Usually all of them have RJ45. Only the real old ones have DB25 etc. and the really new ones also have USB console.
That one I dont get =?!
are you satisfied with your AMD pc performace . is it able to handle the load without any issues ?
Yes absolutely! I bought a quite cheap AMD cpu for 120$ but the quad core can handle the full INE topology on ubuntu with all routers fully loaded. The CPU goes up to 30% on all cores which leaves 70% which is way enough!
I can absolutely recommend 64bit with 8G of ram!!! Every machine gets 256MB of ram and you run 9 of them so 3GB are almost gone. Then a little for the OS and you come into the point where 4G would be full.
which is the model number of the cpu you bought?
are you doing overclocking ?
AMD Phenom II with 4x 2.2GHZ I think...cant remember 100% but this should fit!
Here is my other hardware:
I know this is off-topic, but just to complement here. If you want to make your PC scalable purchase a PC that lets you upgrade your memory from 8G to 16G later on, or purchase 16G of ram right off the bat.
When you start working with the Security labs, you will need more memory..It is doable on 8G memory, but you will be 100% vast majority of the time. This is due to the virtual-machines, IPS and ASAs.
1) you bought DLink DFE-580TX from ebay. ?
2) you got it shipped from a different country ?
No, havent tried it because they were available in Germany. Whats your country?
markus, i am in india.
1) here shipping used telecom equipements is illegal as per the indian telecom rules as far as i know.
so need to probably think of alternate ways for the dlink cards.
2) here in india 3550 will cost $250 - $550
3) and 3560 will cost $1120 - $1500
4) are these prices reasonable. ? for what prices did ou get these ?
each reseller says different prices (what ever they feel like).
i am in india
1) shipping used communication equipments to india is illegal as far as i know.
i think i need to look into some alternate paths for getting the d-link cards.
2) in india a used 3550 24 EMI will cost $250-$560
3) and a used 3560-24TS-E will cost $1200 t0 $1560
4) i am wondering if these prices are reasonable. each reseller says different prices whatever they feel like.
hi qqabdal are you from india ?
Shipping PC hardware is illegal?? OMG. How paranoid are they? Yeah you could plan a thermonuclear war with the DFE580-TX .
The prices are quite high I think. I got my 3550s for 120$ each and thats the average. They are usually from 100$ - 200$
3560s are also quite near the half of your price here.
are you from india ?
Dcancerian is from india I think...
Maybe you can send him a PM....although it would be interesting how they managed the thing with your laws...
1) i see that all your switches are 3550's.
2) is it good enough for most of the scenarios ?
i basically want to cut the total cost as much as possible
are you from india ?
I am not from India. But there are several people from India on this forum, so I believe someone will manifest and help you.
Yes you can do everything in 3550s BUT with some drawbacks.
You cannot do: IPv6, private-vlans, MQC QoS
Just check that here:
For the topics the 3550s cannot do you can book racktime which I would recommend.