CUCM Architecture

Hey there.

Sorry if this is not really the real forum to discuss about this but I guess I need some clarification.

Here is what the CCNP-CCIE book says:

A CM Group in CUCM can have a prioritized list of 3 CUCM Server I'm OK with that

In a cluster there can be 20 Servers Max with only 4 with the Call Processing service running...

and this is what the SRND says:

Call Processing Subscriber

A call processing subscriber is a server that has the Cisco CallManager Service enabled. Once this

service is enabled, the server is able to perform call processing functions. Devices such as phones,

gateways, and media resources can register and make calls only to servers with this service enabled. As

shown in Figure 8-1, multiple call processing subscribers can be members of the same cluster. In fact,

Unified CM supports up to eight call processing subscriber nodes per cluster.

8 servers can have Call manager service running but only 4 as active ?

Thanks for the clarification guys.

Nic

I guess I have to follow the SRND but I m not sure I understand it clearly ....

The CVOICE book says that 

Comments

• Hi Nic,

CUCM supports up to eight call processing servers in a cluster and also you can activate and run the CM services into all of them.

Maybe you got confused while you were going through 1:1 redundancy planning. On 1:1 redundancy planning 4 of your CM will act as primary call processing server while the other 4 will act as backup - but still the CM service activated there. Again for 2:1 redundancy planning the calculation alters accordingly.

Hope this clears.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM, MCL.Nicolas <[email protected]> wrote:

Hey there.

Sorry if this is not really the real forum to discuss about this but I guess I need some clarification.

Here is what the CCNP-CCIE book says:

A CM Group in CUCM can have a prioritized list of 3 CUCM Server I'm OK with that

In a cluster there can be 20 Servers Max with only 4 with the Call Processing service running...

and this is what the SRND says:

Call Processing Subscriber

A call processing subscriber is a server that has the Cisco CallManager Service enabled. Once this

service is enabled, the server is able to perform call processing functions. Devices such as phones,

gateways, and media resources can register and make calls only to servers with this service enabled. As

shown in Figure 8-1, multiple call processing subscribers can be members of the same cluster. In fact,

Unified CM supports up to eight call processing subscriber nodes per cluster.

8 servers can have Call manager service running but only 4 as active ?

Thanks for the clarification guys.

Nic

I guess I have to follow the SRND but I m not sure I understand it clearly ....

The CVOICE book says that 

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Hey

Think I understand the concept in much details now.

So let's say I have a cluster of 20 servers.

1 Pub

8 Call Processing SUB

11 Non Call Processing SUB (Moh, TFTP, etc etc)

the call processing servers can act as primary servers for a specific pool of phone and then act as a backup for another pool and so on ... (let's say we have 8 pools)

Reading the SRND to understand it in deeper details :)

Thanks for the answer