CCIP Retirement

1 week ago, I passed 4th exam required to become CCIP.  Today, I see
the Cisco Learning Network website was updated to show CCIP is retired,
and I found an article released 2 days after I became CCIP announcing
its retirement.

To obtain its replacement, CCNP SP, if you have already passed
ROUTE/BGP/MPLS/QOS, you must now take 2/4 CCNP SP tests, SPCORE and
SPEDGE.  There is some overlap but also some new material.

I have not yet decided if I will take these 2 exams or move on to a different cert.  Curious what others thoughts are.  Also, what INEs timeframe is on providing new material.

Comments

• I'm interested in doing this after CCIE RS, should be a very large overlap. Not sure if I want to pursue it now or go for some security certs first. Also need to clear that damn lab :)

• I have my CCIP and I did the old BSCI route. I don't think there is a way to convert...

• I did the old exams as well: BSCI, BCMSN, ISCW and ONT. So now, if I want to take any new NP exam, I have to get the ROUTE at least, which complicate things =/

• Hi!

Yes daniel there is a really large overlap. Should not be a problem when you are CCIE. At least the old CCIP.

I already have it and I think there is no need to change the certification right? I think it will get recertified each time I pass a CCIE written.

When you currently hold the CCIP then you can go here:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/tools/ccip_migration_tool.html 

I checked BGP, MPLS, BSCI and QOS. They said that I do not need to migrate to CCNP SP. Is that right? Can anyone confirm that?

TIA!

Regards!

Markus

• Instead of repeating ccip / or ccnp sp why you dont go for CCIE written. It will be one step ahead towards CCIE SP LAB.

1 week ago, I passed 4th exam required to become CCIP.  Today, I see the Cisco Learning Network website was updated to show CCIP is retired, and I found an article released 2 days after I became CCIP announcing its retirement.

To obtain its replacement, CCNP SP, if you have already passed ROUTE/BGP/MPLS/QOS, you must now take 2/4 CCNP SP tests, SPCORE and SPEDGE.  There is some overlap but also some new material.

I have not yet decided if I will take these 2 exams or move on to a different cert.  Curious what others thoughts are.  Also, what INEs timeframe is on providing new material.

• I can't say I'm surprised - I even made a comment on these forums that I figured that this was the direction things are heading. The tests in the series I've taked (BGP and QoS) were horribly dated, and the amount of test-specific study material available was practically zero.

What I don't understand is the timeframe until the cert is retired is end of oct, 2012, while the last day to test BGP or MPLS is end of July.  I guess that means that I need to pass the MPLS test by the end of July, and if I don't pass ROUTE before the end of october, I don't have any cert at all, just a collection of random tests under my belt?

This is exactly the issue I have with certification.  Assume that it takes 1/3 of the time I need to prepare for a test to learn the technology well enough to deploy and support it on my network.  That means that I'd be significantly better at what I do, in the same timeframe, if I simply learned how to make things work rather than remember the silly garbage cisco requires I remember to pass a test.  So upshot is that I've wasted months studying, and have missed out several family events for a cert that I'll probably never get now.

Meh.

• I checked BGP, MPLS, BSCI and QOS. They said that I do not need to migrate to CCNP SP. Is that right? Can anyone confirm that?

IIRC, "retired" means it's not recognized any longer.  Remember the CCSP => CCNP Security debacle?

• Can see that I really have to hurry if I want to become CCIP now... BGP is almost done, but need MPLS + QoS before October 29th 2012.

With small children and a maximum of two hours a day, it will definitely be a huge challenge.

Best of luck for those pursuing CCIP.

BR,

/JZ

• Instead of repeating ccip / or ccnp sp why you dont go for CCIE written. It will be one step ahead towards CCIE SP LAB.

Yes this is the debate I am having with myself - go for CCIE next, or round out my skillset by hopping to a different track such as CCDA/CCDP/CCNP.  That route I could get 3 certs with 4 tests, SWITCH, TSHOOT, DESGN, ARCH.  Most bang for the buck, but at this point in my career with my experience I feel like SWITCH and TSHOOT aren't worth the time, money, or effot, I would learn more from CCIE for sure.

•  

I think Cisco should concider using the CCIE-SPv3 written exam as a
    migration exam since it covers the desired concepts & IOS at the professional level and above.

• That is great idea, but cisco will not give it any consideration :)

I think Cisco should concider using the CCIE-SPv3 written exam as a
    migration exam since it covers the desired concepts & IOS at the professional level and above.

•  

I think so also, but I have little "hope" that they will listen to candidtes complaints and "appreciate" the efforts, time & money spent by them for earning the old CCIP, and therefore give them more straight & realistic migration path than the advertised one.

• Can see that I really have to hurry if I want to become CCIP now... BGP is almost done, but need MPLS + QoS before October 29th 2012.

With small children and a maximum of two hours a day, it will definitely be a huge challenge.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand this announcement to mean that studying for the CCIP would be a waste of time and effort at this point.   I believe that retiring a certification is significantly different from retiring a test, but I can't find a whole lot of info on it.  If I cert for CCIP, and then continue to pass other professional level tests or CCIE written, will my CCIP continue to refresh, or does it simply go *POOF!* once oct of this year rolls around?

•  

As I understood from you, you have taken the BGP & QoS tests. Therefore, you have to take the MPLS exam before 27th July and the Route before October. You will get your CCIP for only three years from then and which will expire after this period. Now within these three years you have to take additional two tests to migrate to the CCNP-SP, taking into consideration your previous CCIP exams expiry dates (three years for the BGP exam). So that is now four tests, and you got migration, and certification for more than three years (3 of the CCIP and extra depending when you got the new Cert).

If you just tried to get the new cert directly instead, you will need three tests and the CCNA-SP (total of four), that you have to take within three years of passing the BGP exam (since QoS does not count for the new Cert) and the result of period you will be certifed is same as the above case.

In both cases, you have to pass four tests within three years of passing the BGP exam to get additional three years for the new cert.

So in short, it is the same number of exams. If you are in hurry for the CCIP now for some reason (partner requirement for example), then go for it.

HTH

• Well, considering all the gear I work on is the opposite of "next generation" CCNP SP is a non-starter unless I just want to memorize book info.  I had planned on taking MPLS, ROUTE, and then the remaining two CCNP courses, and then maybe CCIE R&S.

At this point I'm seriously reconsidering working towards any cisco exams, period.  I enjoy learning a hell of a lot more than I enjoy memorizing unimportant (to me) details that cisco insists are important.

•  

I agree with you totally. Learning at both deep theoritical & practical level is much more important than the exams & certs themselves. You have to consider both what technology you work with at you job and also which one you are interesting in and want to learn.

• peetypeety ✭✭

Instead of repeating ccip / or ccnp sp why you dont go for CCIE written. It will be one step ahead towards CCIE SP LAB.

Because the SP lab requires a huge investment in lab gear, orders of magnitude beyond that required for R&S.

I used to work at an SP.  I did my CCIP in four weeks.  At least then, it wasn't hard.  I took the BGP exam cold (never touched a book), took the MPLS exam on two weeks of reading (I was just starting to experiment with VRFs then), and took the QoS on four weeks of reading (the DQOS book was/is rather thick).  BGP isn't hard, especially in the "textbook" environment of the exam. MPLS is just a little different, but think of it as layer 2.5 and I find it becomes a lot easier.  QoS isn't hard, just learn DiffServ vs. IntServ, DSCP and the typical EF/AF markings, priority/fair queueing, shaping vs. policing, and MQC.

I'll admit that I know BGP well and actually like it a lot.  That said, I used the BGP exam in '06 and '09 to renew my P-level certs, and passed it each time "cold".  It's not a hard test, IMHO.

• I'll admit that I know BGP well and actually like it a lot.  That said, I used the BGP exam in '06 and '09 to renew my P-level certs, and passed it each time "cold".  It's not a hard test, IMHO.

I think that depends on how "hard" is defined.  I passed in the upper 900s, but I thought several of the questions were difficult. I could have probably "passed" with significantly less effort than I put in, meaning just memorizing a few tables and rules and going in with the level of knowledge I already had would have probably put me above 750.  Maybe that's the approach I'll take with any future tests I take.

Obviously you know this stuff *much, much* better than I do - that really goes without saying - but I'm betting you know BGP better than many R&S CCIEs who don't work in SP enviroments, too.  At least that's the impression I get.

•  As I understood from you, you have taken the BGP & QoS tests. Therefore, you have to take the MPLS exam before 27th July and the Route before October. You will get your CCIP for only three years from then and which will expire after this period. Now within these three years you have to take additional two tests to migrate to the CCNP-SP, taking into consideration your previous CCIP exams expiry dates (three years for the BGP exam). So that is now four tests, and you got migration, and certification for more than three years (3 of the CCIP and extra depending when you got the new Cert).

Hmm what about recertification. I am kind of confused here if we will lose our ccip?

The ccie isp dial also doesnt exist but you can recertify it right?

Regards!

Markus

• The ccie isp dial also doesnt exist but you can recertify it right?

I think several people share in the confusion.  Hopefully you're correct.  That said, how does "CCIE ISP Dial" look on a rez these days?

•  

I'm not sure about CCIP specifically. But if they follow the same rules they had for CCSP, then it is unlikely to be recertified after the retirement date:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccsp

"With the retirement of the CCSP certification, candidates will no longer
    be able to recertify their existing CCSP certifications after November
    17, 2011."

Check this also: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/38478

Although this rule is not clear here: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le54/CCSP.html

and here: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-10424

So the best way for recertifying CCIP might be to do that one week or less before it retires, or may be Cisco comes with a reasonible solution for migrating to CCNP-SP.

• I totally agree with you on this. Also I don't see any study materials out yet for the new exams. And I recently bought INEs CCIP Videos. :(

Also the fact that I would have to first pass an Associate level cert just to be able to begin certification of CCNP SP... That's just going the wrong direction IMO.

I'm taking CCIP because I believe its the right path for me when going for the CCIE R&S (you'll need to know the current CCIP stuff for this cert anyways).

BR,

/JZ

• I'm taking CCIP because I believe its the right path for me when going for the CCIE R&S (you'll need to know the current CCIP stuff for this cert anyways).

In that case, the cert itself doesn't have as much value as the material/technology, really.  The tech knowledge is still useful - it's not like on Nov 1st BGP/MPLS/QoS are going to disappear.

But, yeah, even though it's only a P level cert, I've sacrificed a lot to get halfway through, and it's certainly not making me grin ear-to-ear to learn that it's being retired.

• Looks like CCIP is following in the CCSP's footsteps.  No more recert after oct 2012, making it officially a dead end and waste of time/effort/money.  At least according to this CLN mod post:

Hi ccnojobhunter,

Your
    CCIP certification is valid for 3 years from the date you become
    certified. Individuals who have CCIP can recertify their certification
    until October 28, 2012 and will be valid for 3 years. However, starting
    October 29, 2012, candidates will no longer be able to achieve CCIP OR
    recertify their existing CCIP certification.

If
    you already hold a valid CCIP certification and want to migrate to the
    CCNP Service Provider, you will only need to take and pass two exams,
    642-887 SPCORE and 642-889 SPEDGE (as mentioned by Martin above)

For additional information, please visit the CCIP Retirement information page and the Cisco CCIP Certification Retirement FAQ page.

Regards,

Rigo

Cisco Learning Network Moderator

• I totally agree with you on this. Also I don't see any study materials out yet for the new exams. And I recently bought INEs CCIP Videos. :(

Well thats sad...my question now is will INE bring out the new CCNP SP videos?

I also will have to do the new track because the ccip probably will not be able to recertified....aw man...

Regards!

Markus

• Does anyone know what literature there will be for the CCNP SP? Some years ago there were the Exam Certification Books...but nowadays they dont really bring such ones out right? I think that is one way how they make money as you are forced to go to their courses. Thumbs down here from me!!

Regards!

Markus

• learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14706

It's official.  No new certs or recerts after oct 2012.

I'll admit the reasons they give are sound, but mostly because they haven't refreshed the tests.  While the network I admin would best described as "long in the tooth" or perhaps "crummy" it's still a (small) service provider network.  Apparently now SP = XE/XR.  Their "migration tool" is horribly broken, too.  Either that or they value the BSCI way above ROUTE.

• Does anyone know what literature there will be for the CCNP SP?

That's being asked w/o answer all over.  I can't see them not having books/courses in the works, since despite what people say, IMO, training is good biz for them - I seriously doubt Cisco Press is just a charity org.

It would be nice if cisco could learn to do these things with more carrot and less stick.

• learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14706

Ok thats something I really consider to be BS from cisco. Sorry but we invest money into that with trainings, books, effort etc. to gain this one. And then we cannot recertify??? Pfff. Then they need to kill the CCIE ISP DIAL as well! Very low really...[+o(]

The thing with the books...hey of course there is online documentation and the courses. And sure its a good biz for them but what about the people who want to have a book where you can read it, or maybe the course material to do self-study. They put a brick in the way for people who themselves or whose companies they are working for dont have the money for the expensive teached classes.

Regards!

Markus

•  

learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14706

Ok thats something I really consider to be BS from cisco. Sorry but we invest money into that with trainings, books, effort etc. to gain this one. And then we cannot recertify??? Pfff.

I will repeat what I have said before here and on their forums:

"Cisco shouldt concider using the CCIE-SPv3 written exam as a migration exam since it covers the desired concepts & IOS"

"My point is that if someone holds
    the CCIP, then he has most of the new CCNP-SP concepts. However, the new
    cert has IOS-XR & IOS-XE topics. If someone passed the CCIE-SPv3
    written exam, then he should know these topics at the professional
    level.

Also,
    this solution will motivate people to continue and pursue the CCIE-SP
    certification by taking the lab exam next. Another point is that
    professionals holding the CCIP and currently are studying for the
    CCIE-SPv3 will continue their studies without interrupt toward this goal
    by taking the written exam, and at the same time migrate their CCIP
    without worrying about its retirement/expiration."