Ticket 3.1(Broadcast keyword association)

Hi every one,

I would like to  ask why SG associate the broadcast keyword to IPv6 Global address i thought it's should be asscoiated with link-local address to allow the adjency to form

Regards

Comments

• Hi omargays,

In reality it does not matter whether you put the broadcast on the link-local or global address. Therefore, you can choose either one and both will work like a charm.

Anyhow, I always do it on the link-local it is just make more sense to me. But it is always good to know that you can put it on the global address if any restrictions are made.

HTH

Good luck!

• Hi,

The broadcast keyword is used once per protocol per DLCI. It does not matter if you put it on the link local or the global address. I always put it on the link local because that makes more sense to me but from a practical point of view it does not matter at all.

• I would like to  ask why SG associate the broadcast keyword to IPv6 Global address i thought it's should be asscoiated with link-local address to allow the adjency to form

Doesn't matter but I prefer on link-local address. Only thing is we should also have the mapping of link-local address because next-hop address is link-local address.

Good Luck

• folks really u r the best i thought i should not buy INE workbook all what i was to need just to register in IEOC [:D]

• Hi every one,

I would like to  ask why SG associate the broadcast keyword to IPv6 Global address i thought it's should be asscoiated with link-local address to allow the adjency to form

Regards

The
    broadcast keyword is required if broadcast and multicast traffic are to be sent
    over the specified DLCI. In addition, this keyword is required to be configured
    one time per DLCI; otherwise the router will send
    duplicate broadcasts.

Just my 2 cents.

• Actually the router will not send duplicate broadcasts per se, it will replicate the broadcast as a pseudo-broadcast, which in essence is a replicated unicast to each DLCI.

In IPv6, I usually use the broadcast keyword on the link-local address as it looks just better, but you can put it on your global address mapping and it will work the same, I think most people think it is clearer to put it on the link-local, as this is the address that the IGPs will use to communicate their messages.