Unity/Presence Install Issues - NTP

I have my CUCM Pub and Sub installed as VMs on my ESXi box. I am using all 7.x versions of all VMs on all servers needed. I am now attempting to install Unity Connection and Presence and they are both giving me the same error during the install. I need to define NTP servers (which I also have 3 VM NTP servers running and accessible). I was able to sync another VM and my laptop to any of those 3 NTP servers.

Both Unity and Presence give me the same issue... They test all 3 of the NTP servers fine and show they are accessible. When I hit 'Proceed' it shows it's attempting to sync hardware time to NTP-based time, but then throws me an error that states:

"NTP-based clock correction failed. Verify the spelling or IP address of the external NTP servers, that the NTP servers are NTPv4 and port 123 is not blocked, that the NTP servers are running, reachable, and on a network with low delay and jitter. At least one of the NTP servers must be accessible and working.

Alternatively, the hardware clock can be used as a time source. To use the hardware clock, back up and click 'No' when asked whether you want to set up external NTP server(s)"

I am unable to go back and choose that option as it is not available as an option anywhere in the install process.

I have a VM running CentOS and ntpd, one running ArchLinux and ntpd, and a third running Win2k3 with an NTP server app. 

The CUCM VMs installed just fine. I can't figure out what I need to do. 

Any ideas?

Comments

• Could you experimentally sync against a cisco router with "ntp master" enabled?

I for myself dont have exp wirh CUCM but maybe you can capture the NTP packets and take a look whats in there?

Regards!

Markus

• Make sure the NTP server you have set is at least Stratum 4 or below. Make it Stratum 1 or 2 just to be safe. 

Kind Regards,

Mark Snow, CCIE #14073
    (Voice, Security)
    Instructor
    Internetwork Expert, Inc.
    INE Online Community
    INE Blog
    LinkedIn
    Toll Free: 877-224-8987
    Outside US: +1 775 826 4344

- docendo discitur

On Apr 16, 2012, at 23:01, jgrohol <[email protected]> wrote:

I have my CUCM Pub and Sub installed as VMs on my ESXi box. I am using all 7.x versions of all VMs on all servers needed. I am now attempting to install Unity Connection and Presence and they are both giving me the same error during the install. I need to define NTP servers (which I also have 3 VM NTP servers running and accessible). I was able to sync another VM and my laptop to any of those 3 NTP servers.

Both Unity and Presence give me the same issue... They test all 3 of the NTP servers fine and show they are accessible. When I hit 'Proceed' it shows it's attempting to sync hardware time to NTP-based time, but then throws me an error that states:

"NTP-based clock correction failed. Verify the spelling or IP address of the external NTP servers, that the NTP servers are NTPv4 and port 123 is not blocked, that the NTP servers are running, reachable, and on a network with low delay and jitter. At least one of the NTP servers must be accessible and working.

Alternatively, the hardware clock can be used as a time source. To use the hardware clock, back up and click 'No' when asked whether you want to set up external NTP server(s)"

I am unable to go back and choose that option as it is not available as an option anywhere in the install process.

I have a VM running CentOS and ntpd, one running ArchLinux and ntpd, and a third running Win2k3 with an NTP server app. 

The CUCM VMs installed just fine. I can't figure out what I need to do. 

Any ideas?

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

• Thanks. I will try both of those suggestions. I believe all of my NTP servers are set to stratum 6-8'ish. I will push them down to a 1 or 2 and see how that goes. If not, I will try from Router1 in my lab with a stratum 1 as well.

• Thanks Mark! I made one of my NTP servers a stratum 2 and the install worked on Presence. I'm assuming it'll work on UC as well now. I only used one NTP server this time as well. 

Is this documented anywhere about the stratum levels it needs to be?