Passed BGP

Ouch.  That was brutal.  I did extremely well, but that was, IMO, a really tough test.  *Many* questions had multiple good answers, which is something I hadn't really seen so far. Many questions also stretched the credibility of the phrase "there's no such thing as a stupid question" :/

Going through the entire BGP section of workbook 1 this weekend *really* helped (I had only gone through certain sections and the ATC vids previously - not surprisingly "hot potato/cold potato" routing was covered in sections I had skipped.  In retrospect, I studied for this test in a really stupid fashion - I figured I knew certain parts well enough and just went about filling in holes in my knowledge.  The result of this was that right up until around 11:00 PM last night, when I packed it in and hit the sack, I was learning new things about stuff I thought I already knew.  Again, really stupid study technique.  Won't make that same mistake again going forward.

I'd like to say thanks to Peety especially, but also the numerous others who answered, for really helping me understand the whats and whys for the few questions I posted recently!

Comments

• Congrats!

• Congratulations mate! Well done!

• Well done! Is CCIE next? :)

• Ouch.  That was brutal.  I did extremely well, but that was, IMO, a really tough test.  *Many* questions had multiple good answers, which is something I hadn't really seen so far. Many questions also stretched the credibility of the phrase "there's no such thing as a stupid question" :/

Going through the entire BGP section of workbook 1 this weekend *really* helped (I had only gone through certain sections and the ATC vids previously - not surprisingly "hot potato/cold potato" routing was covered in sections I had skipped.  In retrospect, I studied for this test in a really stupid fashion - I figured I knew certain parts well enough and just went about filling in holes in my knowledge.  The result of this was that right up until around 11:00 PM last night, when I packed it in and hit the sack, I was learning new things about stuff I thought I already knew.  Again, really stupid study technique.  Won't make that same mistake again going forward.

I'd like to say thanks to Peety especially, but also the numerous others who answered, for really helping me understand the whats and whys for the few questions I posted recently!

Congratulations!!! Its right time to jump into the occean of CCIE

• Thats terrific!!! Congratz and well done, SPv3 next ah?

• Thanks everyone!
    My plan is to finish the remainder of the CCIP and CCNP (4 more tests) before starting in on the IE. Currently the IE is way outside of my grasp. I'm hoping to finish up the remainder of the CCIP this year - still have MPLS and ROUTE to do. I imagine MPLS is going to be difficult since, like BGP, there are relatively few study resources, and aside from a few acronyms and a general sense of what it does, I know more or less nothing about it. I expect route will be much easier.

That aside, I have a question. The cisco learning network BGP test page says it's 50 to 60 questions in 90 min, and I was handed 61. I don't really care one way or the other since I finished with around 15 min to spare, but I'm wondering if the page is wrong, or I was "over served" by their test engine.

• Mmmm its seems that you were luck one having a 1 question bonus ;-). Have you tried to email the Cisco Cert Support http://ciscocert.force.com/english and report?

Thanks everyone!
    My plan is to finish the remainder of the CCIP and CCNP (4 more tests) before starting in on the IE. Currently the IE is way outside of my grasp. I'm hoping to finish up the remainder of the CCIP this year - still have MPLS and ROUTE to do. I imagine MPLS is going to be difficult since, like BGP, there are relatively few study resources, and aside from a few acronyms and a general sense of what it does, I know more or less nothing about it. I expect route will be much easier.
    That aside, I have a question. The cisco learning network BGP test page says it's 50 to 60 questions in 90 min, and I was handed 61. I don't really care one way or the other since I finished with around 15 min to spare, but I'm wondering if the page is wrong, or I was "over served" by their test engine.

• peetypeety ✭✭

Hey, I got credited on the forums!  Wheeeee!

Glad you passed.  When I went for my CCIP, I was working for an ISP, and BGP was the test I studied for least.  I passed it, but was surprised at some of the Cisco-specific questions I faced.  I used the BGP exam twice more to recertify my CCxP/CCxA stuff, and I'm going to miss that exam.

What books have you read on MPLS?  I will say that the first chapter or so of "Traffic Engineering with MPLS" covered MPLS very well, though it might be a stretch if you haven't read much else.  I really enjoyed that whole book, and would refer to it more often than anything else in my library.

• I passed it, but was surprised at some of the Cisco-specific questions I faced.

Yeah, I'm very glad I went through all the cisco learning network practice questions ahead of time.  Apparently my view of reality and Cisco's differ in some areas.

What books have you read on MPLS?  I will say that the first chapter or so of "Traffic Engineering with MPLS" covered MPLS very well, though it might be a stretch if you haven't read much else.  I really enjoyed that whole book, and would refer to it more often than anything else in my library.

None, unfortunately.  I started reading "MPLS Fundamentals" earlier this year when it looked like we were going to need to deploy it on our network, but that project fell through so I never got past the first few chapters.  It seemed like a good entry level book, but if there are better ones out there, I'm all ears.

• Mmmm its seems that you were luck one having a 1 question bonus ;-). Have you tried to email the Cisco Cert Support http://ciscocert.force.com/english and report?

Yeah, they just gave me some extra for the same low price!  A "cisco dozen" questions.

Honestly I'm not upset, especially since it wasn't a problem.  I was just surprised to see that I had drawn 61 questions when going in to the test I was already nervous about the number of questions and the time limit thinking I was looking at 50 - 60 questions.

• Congratulations on your success.........