Seeking Prep Guidance for the R&S Written

I have recently decided to take the step and pursue my CCIEin R&S,  about 5 years ago I also considered it after doing my CCNP and CCIP certifications but life got in the way and I put that thought on the back shelf.

However I have recently reignited my desire to take my career to the next level and pursue my CCIE..I might get it and I might not, and I am ok with either -  as its the attempt and knowledge I will learn from the process that is really driving me...the actual CCIE # would just be a bonus.

I have recently purchased an All Access Pass from INE, as I have been following INE for 5-6 years now.   I love what they do and how they do it,  so for me it was a no brainer as to which company I would select to help me with my journey.

I am looking for a suggested preparation method for my CCIE written.   

As I mentioned I have my CCNP and CCIP certification but obtained those 4 or 5 years ago, so some of the knowledge is stale.   Here is what I was thinking about doing to prepare, and I would like it if anyone could either comment on my planned approach or directly me to a recommend approach.

-         Refresh my CCIP track knowledge, by going through the CCIP bootcamp via the All Access-Pass.

-         Read over Routing TCP/IP Vol1 and Vol2 ; play with Dynamips during that process to solidify some concepts.

-         Go through the CCIE Written bootcamp via the AllAccess Pass  (Although there appears to be 2...a 9 hour one, and a 5 day one)

-         Read through the CCIE certification Guide.

Maybe not in that order but at first thought this is what I am thinking...any feedback you could give me would be appreciated.

Comments

• Everyone's opinions vary on this topic.  My approach was not specifically geared for the written.  I am just proceeding as if I was preparing for the lab, that way I figured the written would come naturally.  I have been studying on and off for a few years.

I have watched the following over the last year as part of general lab preparation taking notes along the way.  You have the All-Access pass, so take advantage.

Written Bootcamp (Old and New Versions)

R&S Advanced Technologies Class New(Have watched multiple times)

R&S Advanced Technologies Class Old Versions

Deep Dive - Multicast

Deep Dive - IPv6

Deep Dive - Security

642-611 MPLS Exam Course

642-642 QoS Exam Course

642-661 BGP Exam Course

642-902 ROUTE Exam Course

642-813 SWITCH Exam Course

642-832 TSHOOT Exam Course

642-874 ARCH Exam Course

640-863 DESIGN Exam Course 

R&S Lab Workbook Volume I for CCIE v4.0 - Great to enforce knowledge from video lessons.

Many books.  To many to list for now.  I would read some recommended books for the specific test I was gearing towards.  Else reading usual CCIE R&S recommended books in the INE Videos.

• -         Refresh my CCIP track knowledge, by going through the CCIP bootcamp via the All Access-Pass.

-         Read over Routing TCP/IP Vol1 and Vol2 ; play with Dynamips during that process to solidify some concepts.

-         Go through the CCIE Written bootcamp via the AllAccess Pass  (Although there appears to be 2...a 9 hour one, and a 5 day one)

Assuming you already have basic understanding of networking if not just go through some books and some practise basic technologies and then stright aways start with the structured approach for lab preparation rather then just muddling around. Pick a technolgy and work on it. For example say PPP technology

Watch ATC-->Practise on Dynamips or real racks----->Read good blogs for PPP---->Read Cisco Doc---->Again Watch ATC for some advance PPP like authentication--->Try it on rack(can also use INE vol1 PPP section)---->Revise it on regular basises

Once you finish all the technologies you can move to further on INE vol2.....along with vol1 WBs

• Awsome advise, I like your train of thought!

Thanks,
    Ken

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:20 PM, DennisD <[email protected]> wrote:

Everyone's opinions vary on this topic.  My approach was not specifically geared for the written.  I am just proceeding as if I was preparing for the lab, that way I figured the written would come naturally.  I have been studying on and off for a few years.

I have watched the following over the last year as part of general lab preparation taking notes along the way.  You have the All-Access pass, so take advantage.

Written Bootcamp (Old and New Versions)

R&S Advanced Technologies Class New(Have watched multiple times)

R&S Advanced Technologies Class Old Versions

Deep Dive - Multicast

Deep Dive - IPv6

Deep Dive - Security

642-611 MPLS Exam Course

642-642 QoS Exam Course

642-661 BGP Exam Course

642-902 ROUTE Exam Course

642-813 SWITCH Exam Course

642-832 TSHOOT Exam Course

642-874 ARCH Exam Course

640-863 DESIGN Exam Course 

R&S Lab Workbook Volume I for CCIE v4.0 - Great to enforce knowledge from video lessons.

Many books.  To many to list for now.  I would read some recommended books for the specific test I was gearing towards.  Else reading usual CCIE R&S recommended books in the INE Videos.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• I have recently decided to take the step and pursue my CCIEin R&S,  about 5 years ago I also considered it after doing my CCNP and CCIP certifications but life got in the way and I put that thought on the back shelf.

However I have recently reignited my desire to take my career to the next level and pursue my CCIE..I might get it and I might not, and I am ok with either -  as its the attempt and knowledge I will learn from the process that is really driving me...the actual CCIE # would just be a bonus.

I have recently purchased an All Access Pass from INE, as I have been following INE for 5-6 years now.   I love what they do and how they do it,  so for me it was a no brainer as to which company I would select to help me with my journey.

I am looking for a suggested preparation method for my CCIE written.   

As I mentioned I have my CCNP and CCIP certification but obtained those 4 or 5 years ago, so some of the knowledge is stale.   Here is what I was thinking about doing to prepare, and I would like it if anyone could either comment on my planned approach or directly me to a recommend approach.

-         Refresh my CCIP track knowledge, by going through the CCIP bootcamp via the All Access-Pass.

Maybe not in that order but at first thought this is what I am thinking...any feedback you could give me would be appreciated.

As you have done ccip/ccnp 4-5 years ago then go for new CCNP official books, these books have changed a lot over last few years. New books have plenty of knwoledge. Once you are done with these books, go for official ccie written book and watch INE ccie written prep boot camp (both old and new one).

You can enhance your preps with ATC and this stuff will be sufficient enough to go for written exam.

HTH