Self ping on FR interface

Hi

From CCIE R&S lab exam perspective, does lab demand for self ping on frame relay interfaces ? OR can we leave it alone.

Comments

• That sounds like a "ask the proctor" question. [:)]

• i dont think it hurts to over-configure. i always like full reachability but if it isn't asked for, and you're pressed for time, as long as you complete the task you're fine.

Then again, they do usually state something like 'at the end of the lab, you need full reachability etc.'. I'd prefer to do it, just for my peace of mind.

• Yes thats true it sounds like a question for the proctor but its better if more common questions get cleared before lab exam. 

Full reachability means what in the lab exam. Does it also include self ping on FR interfaces ? I have not seen any where in INE products where they have used self ping on FR interfaces.

• Hi dcancerian,

This is a very good question and point for discussion. I personally like to see everything pinging in the end of my labs, so I do add a static frame-relay mapping for my own IP address to make sure that everybody is able to ping each other.

However, I don't think you would lose points if you don't do so.

And here again, every time I am in doubt of something, I go and ask the proctor, but would be good to know this beforehand ;). Just my 2 cents

HTH

Good luck!

• In a Cisco 360 mock lab I did it was specifically mentioned that all interfaces should be pingable. I had no FR in my lab so I don't know the wording there but it makes your TCL script run better if all addresses are reachable. Otherwise those will fail when testing locally on the router.

I would probably double check with proctor to be sure though. I think it's sad that there are so many unknowns in lab that has nothing at all to do with skill. It would help greatly if Cisco made some statement about general rules for lab.

I have seen presentation of how the grading works but I'm not sure if they are also looking in configuration or only for those tasks that they want to be solved a specific way.

If no restrictions are we 100% free to do what we want? Except the general guidelines to not use static routes etc.

• I have seen presentation of how the grading works but I'm not sure if they are also looking in configuration or only for those tasks that they want to be solved a specific way.

Is this presentation publicly available? Are there some important points we should keep in mind while taking the lab exam based on grading system?

• FR interface self ping is not required unless they specifically ask. On the flip side even if they don't and you configure it to  be reachable... Still not gonna hurt.

But I still doubt they gonna give you simple FR stuff. Perhaps expect something interesting like MFR,MLPoFR,PPPoFR or Frame Relay Bridging with FR broadcast queue tunning.

HTH...

Deepak Arora

http://deepakarora1984.blogspot.com

• dcancerian,

No, it is not required to ping the router's local FR interfaces in real lab.  I know this with 100% certainty.

• dcancerian,

No, it is not required to ping the router's local FR interfaces in real lab.  I know this with 100% certainty.

Thanks for confirmation. The proctor in the lab exam can also clarify such questions.

• Hi

From CCIE R&S lab exam perspective, does lab demand for self ping on frame relay interfaces ? OR can we leave it alone.

your CCIE attempt is going to be the test of your lifetime....

no matter what we say and discuss...r you really going to leave it to chance?

actually going ahead and over configuring it takes 35 seconds

getting up and asking the proctor takes 3 minutes

do the math

(unless EXPLICITLY asked not to do it...I would)

Tox!

• actually going ahead and over configuring it takes 35 seconds

getting up and asking the proctor takes 3 minutes

Thats very interesting stratergy.[;)]

• Some thing explicity not forbidden should be considered allowed.