Reverse Telnet

Hi Folks,

I finally received the last part to my lab through mail and constructed it 2 days. It tucks nicely inside the closet (which makes the wife happy). Two nights ago on the rack's maiden voyage, I had connected the last of the Ethernet cables to the switch and powered it on. I turned the closet light off and let interface lights provide the glow. I stood and stared as STP converged and amber lights went to green. I put my arm my wife who was watching it too and said: "isn't it beautiful?"

BOOM....all the lights go out. Oh no...my circuits aren't big enough. My wife starts laughing at me. I think "how could this happen? I calculated that I would be okay..." I went downstairs and checked the breaker box. None of the breakers had tripped...that's weird. I walked outside and noticed our entire apartment building was dark, our sidewalk lamps were out and the entire complex was no longer lit. I thought to myself "oh !@#$". I called my emergency maintenance line who called ComEd (local power company). A guy showed up 2 hours later to inspect a metal box on the ground. It was around 1:30am local time and I could hear him. So I looked out my window as he lit up the area with portable lamps and opened the box. He stuck his hand inside to change something and BOOM! a transformer about a hundred yards away exploded. Thats when dogs really started to bark. Nothing like watching night turn to day in a brilliant electrical explosion. He cursed really loud and left his area. Soon, a bunch ComEd trucks show up to replace the unit. Power comes back on around 5am. Even though I find it impossible, I do feel like I contributed to a disaster. Oh well...

I do have a question however. My terminal server doesn't want to let me have more than 2-3 reverse telnet connections at a time. When I try and hotkey back into a tty line, I get a "Session closed by foreign host" or something like that. However, if I make several connections from my computer (192.168.2.3:2033, 192.168.2.3:2034, etc..), it works. Any ideas?

thanks

Mike

Comments

• Hi!

When I try and hotkey back into a tty line, I get a "Session closed by foreign host" or

You probably get that because while you are working on one line the other session timed out and the router the Rs232 interface is connected to, kills the connection. Normal behaviour! Configure "exec-timeout 0 0" and "session-timeout 0 0" under the line con 0.

You can check this posts too!

http://ieoc.com/forums/t/18075.aspx

http://ieoc.com/forums/t/18005.aspx

In my eyes it is easier to telnet x-times to the machine and have every router in a seperate window.

Regards!

Markus

• I will try this solution when I get home.

Thanks

Mike

• Thank you so much for the post.

• Hi Folks,

I finally received the last part to my lab through mail and constructed it 2 days. It tucks nicely inside the closet (which makes the wife happy). Two nights ago on the rack's maiden voyage, I had connected the last of the Ethernet cables to the switch and powered it on. I turned the closet light off and let interface lights provide the glow. I stood and stared as STP converged and amber lights went to green. I put my arm my wife who was watching it too and said: "isn't it beautiful?"

BOOM....all the lights go out. Oh no...my circuits aren't big enough. My wife starts laughing at me. I think "how could this happen? I calculated that I would be okay..." I went downstairs and checked the breaker box. None of the breakers had tripped...that's weird. I walked outside and noticed our entire apartment building was dark, our sidewalk lamps were out and the entire complex was no longer lit. I thought to myself "oh !@#$". I called my emergency maintenance line who called ComEd (local power company). A guy showed up 2 hours later to inspect a metal box on the ground. It was around 1:30am local time and I could hear him. So I looked out my window as he lit up the area with portable lamps and opened the box. He stuck his hand inside to change something and BOOM! a transformer about a hundred yards away exploded. Thats when dogs really started to bark. Nothing like watching night turn to day in a brilliant electrical explosion. He cursed really loud and left his area. Soon, a bunch ComEd trucks show up to replace the unit. Power comes back on around 5am. Even though I find it impossible, I do feel like I contributed to a disaster. Oh well...

I do have a question however. My terminal server doesn't want to let me have more than 2-3 reverse telnet connections at a time. When I try and hotkey back into a tty line, I get a "Session closed by foreign host" or something like that. However, if I make several connections from my computer (192.168.2.3:2033, 192.168.2.3:2034, etc..), it works. Any ideas?

thanks

Mike

Thanks you for sharing