When do you guys test?

At what point do you say "enough" and take the test.  So far, I feel like I've been massively over-preparing for all of the tests I've taken, and feel like maybe I could get away with much less "fine point cramming."  Obviously, my main objective is to get better at networking, but I also want to have the letters behind my name for future job prospects. 

I imagine this is an issue all the way through CCIE for some folks.

Opinions?

Comments

• I would go ahead and make an attempt when you have carefully gone over the blueprint of your specific exam and can rate yourself a 4/5 on each topic domain.

Good luck!

• Are you doing any of the Mock labs? The grades should be a good indicator on whether or not you should go to the real thing.

Anyhow, if you have gone over all the technologies on the blueprint and done VOL1 labs twice and some VOL2 labs, you should be pretty good to go.

Good luck!

• Are you doing any of the Mock labs?

I should have specified that I was referring to the professional level exams.  I'm going through the R&S WB 1 for BGP to get an idea of how ready I am for the BGP exam.

• I should have specified that I was referring to the professional level exams.  I'm going through the R&S WB 1 for BGP to get an idea of how ready I am for the BGP exam.

No problem, it was my fault, I did not realize this post was under the CCIP.

Anyway, I do think if you already went over all the preparation and you feel you are doing the tasks correctly and you know the content, you should give it a try. It is really worth it.

Have you done any other Professional exam from Cisco or are you coming from the Associate level?

Good luck!

• At what point do you say "enough" and take the test.  So far, I feel like I've been massively over-preparing for all of the tests I've taken, and feel like maybe I could get away with much less "fine point cramming."  Obviously, my main objective is to get better at networking, but I also want to have the letters behind my name for future job prospects. 

I imagine this is an issue all the way through CCIE for some folks.

Opinions?

Setting timelines for the exam and schedule your studies accordingly. 

• Have you done any other Professional exam from Cisco or are you coming from the Associate level?

Just QoS.  I'm getting ready to take the BGP test, and my plan is to do as suggested - scedule it for a few weeks out and then just take it.  I'm confident I can pass the test pretty soon, but I I could learn a lot more still.

Anyone else wish the tests were mostly labs?  :-)

• peetypeety ✭✭

Anyone else wish the tests were mostly labs?  :-)

If you asked me five weeks ago, I'd probably say yes.  I used to take the BGP exam to recertify all of my P-level certs, and I did wish it was more lab-like.  Me being brave, I'd just schedule it and take it, without any prep (BGP is my strong suit), so a lab-like exam would have filtered out the junk that Cisco likes to ask on those exams.

(Now I've passed CCIE, so I'd much rather take written exams than have to go through the torture of the lab).