Break Key Sequence

Hey guys,

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right area.  How do I send a break key sequence in OSX SecureCRT?  I look at the Cisco website and it states that for SecureCRT is ctrl+break, but this is for Windows and there is no break key on Macbook Pro.  I need to reset the password on 1841 router, and I can't send a break key sequence.

What I have is 1841-----CM32------FIOS Router------MBP

I have tried different combination: command+[, command+], command+b, ctrl+b, ctrl+, command+ but none of them work.

Thanks

Comments

• Hi nixwork,

maybe simulating the break key sequence is an option.

Complete these steps to simulate a break key sequence:

1. Connect to the router with these terminal settings:

1200 baud rate

No parity

8 data bits

1 stop bit

No flow control

You no longer see any output on your screen, and this is
      normal.

2. Power cycle (switch off and then on) the router and press the
      SPACEBAR for 10-15 seconds in order to generate a signal similar to the break
      sequence.

3. Disconnect your terminal, and reconnect with a 9600 baud rate. You
      enter the ROM Monitor mode.

Source: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.shtml#topic3

Also, your issue is discussed in this thread on the vandyke forums: http://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=5956

Good luck!

Ford

• Dude, thanks a lot.  Changing the baud rate did the trick, but I had to do it on the CM32 console server since I have to ssh to it.  

I also tried the one from VanDyke before I made this thread and forgot to mentioned it, but I set it ctrl+b, but it did not work.                                                                                                                  

I just bought this from ebay, and I noticed that the very first thing that shows up when the router boots up is this:  Is that normal for 1841?

Readonly ROMMON initialized

program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0xcb80

program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0xcb80

program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0x1426068

Self decompressing the image : ################################################################################################################################################################################################################### [OK]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

• Hi nixwork,

thanks for the feedback, I'm glad it worked for you.

The boot output you provided looks OK.
    On a side note, that's probably not the very first output. Usually, these lines are preceded by some version information (System Bootstrap, PLD, GIO ASIC) and the RAM configuration of the device.

Cheers

Ford

• I knew posting here would give a quick answer.  I spent a good 1hour trying to figure it out how to send a break sequence.  

Do you think this would work on some USB to serial adapters that can't send break sequence?

I had that situation before where my USB to DB9 could send a break sequence, so I had to borrow a coworker's USB to DB9 adapter just to get in rommon.

My USB to DB9 works, but can't do break.

• Cisco Documentation says: "In some cases, the break sequence might not get transmitted properly
    when using a USB/Serial converter cable. In such cases, use a keyboard with a
    different connector port (for example, a
    PS/2)."

I haven't tested the PS/2 keyboard workaround yet, but can report mixed results with various USB-Serial converter cables. Some just wouldn't cut the cake. Currently, I use a model from ATEN which correctly sends the break key sequence.

Regards,

Ford

• Ok thanks.

What I have is the one from Belkin, which cannot send a break sequence.  The one I borrored from a co-worker is this http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-USB-2920-Serial-Adapter/dp/B0006LSIOI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1329993668&sr=8-9 I am not 100% sure if this is the right model, but based on looks and the accessory that came with it, it seems like that's the one.

• In addition to not having a serial port, my latest laptop doesn't even have a 'break' key.  Ah...sweet...sweet progress.

• You could work around this by doing a key mapping in SecureCRT to send the break key when you hit ESC or whatever other key you want.  Find the ASCII character code for CTRL-BREAK and send that.

Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593 (R&S/SP/Security)

bmcgahan@INE.com

Internetwork Expert, Inc.

http://www.INE.com

From: hardware@ieoc.com [mailto:hardware@ieoc.com] On Behalf Of butch_deadlift
    Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:45 PM
    To: Brian McGahan
    Subject: Re: [hardware] Break Key Sequence

In addition to not having a serial port, my latest laptop doesn't even have a 'break' key.  Ah...sweet...sweet progress.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.INE.com

• If I remember correctly, there is no ASCII code mapping for the Break key.

If connecting via telnet, a key map named TN_BREAK can be configured in the SecureCRT settings. If connection is established via serial, experimenting with different values for serial break length could be an option.

Regards,

Ford

• Sorry to resurect such an old thread, but I just had to. I have been beating my head against the wall trying to get into ROMMON via a usb to serial adaptor on an ebay buy.  Different terms, different adaptors...nada, even contacted the retailer of the cable who assured me "It's a term issue"  >poof< I see this thread as I'm about to give up for the night.  IT WORKED!!!!  

Thanks a thosand times!

• Hi,

I am resurrecting this thread once again. I have the same issue using SecureCRT. Using usb to serial adapter (have not tried buying a new one and using one I got when ordered kit). Upon mapping key under Mapped key combination shows Ctrl-VK_B (not sure why?). Tried from the drop down edit Send Break. Most likely the usb to serial. Any thoughts????

Thank you.

• When you map the key combination in SecureCRT, look at the function drop down on the left and change from Menu Function to Telnet Function. Change the Telnet function to TN_BREAK
    I know its a serial connection and not a Telnet connection but it works most of the time
    HTH