Task 2.12 Multicast

Aren't static mroutes against the lab do's and don'ts?

Why is pim dense-mode enabled on the frame-relay link between R3 and R2? Actually the tunnel was configured because this frame-relay link doesn't support multicast (no "broadcast" option allowed in "frame-relay map" statement).

br,

Gabor

Comments

• I don't think anyone can answer 100% if mroutes are allowed or not. That would have to be clarified by the proctor.

The mroute is not really a static route though. It just modifies what is considered the RPF interface. The alternative is to change path in the IGP which could be a very bad idea.

• I don't think anyone can answer 100% if mroutes are allowed or not.

I agree that whether or not static mroutes are allow should be a question for the proctor, however... I attended Cisco Live! in Melbourne last month (March 2012), I was lucky enough to attend the Technical Session discussion of CCIE R&S, which was led by the CCIE Program Director - Bruno van de Werve. During question time I asked if static mroutes are allowed in the lab to solve problems like RPF failure... he laughed.

That was his initial response.. laughter.. and then he shook his head, still laughing.

So definitely get clarity from the proctor, but judging by the response I got, static mroutes aren't the answer.

• Aren't static mroutes against the lab do's and don'ts?

You need to look clearly on question whethere there is any symptom to allow static mroute configuration or not, better ask proctor.

Good Luck

• Interesting discussion here. I also stumped on this question during the mock. Figured out the issue where multicast is not allowed over the frame relay due to underlining layer2 setup however nothing was mentioned about using static multicast routes. I see these as static route regardless whether it's unicast or multicast which is not permitted in the exam unless specified to do so. I also recall INE mentioned allowance off mroutes in their Vol2 labs or pervious mocks. I think this is a poor written task and wouldn't appear in the real exam. I'll be interested to hear INE feedback about this.