CSC on Dynamips.

Dear All,

I am using dynamips on CORE2DUO -8GB RAM PC.

CPU consumption is 100% and memory consumption is 2GB.

When I perforn extended ping from SITE A to B or vice-versa beneath is the ping response.

..!!!!!.............................!...!!.!!!!!..!..............UU...
..................................!.................!!...!....!.....!!
!!........!........!........!!..!!!.......!...!!...........!!!....!...
..............!!!!!..........!!!!!!..!!.!................!............
.....!....!.......!............!!!!!!!!...!....................U.UUU.

Is is ok or any additional is to be done.

Comments

• Yes.

What above ping response indicate ? configuration correct or wrong.

• How many routers do you have running in this network? For a basic carrier, customer carrier, and end customer topology you're must have at least 8+ routers running.

I used to run Dynamips on a Core 2 Duo PC, which had 9 routers, two routers with esw and 3 backbone devices. Once I came up to the point where I add L2VPN and advanced L3VPN features the performance was very, very bad. Connections start to drop because keepalives were missed etc.

There are couple of things you can do:

• Stop all other programs and especially services that use a lot of CPU time (except dynamips [:)])
    • If you run on Windows you can consider installing Ubuntu and run your lab on a different partition.
    • You can consider upgrading your computer to Core i5 or i7 to improve computing performance.

I had good experience with running dynamips on linux. Try to avoid CPU intensive things like tuning protocol timers, this will kill your cpu resources.

• Yes.

What above ping response indicate ? configuration correct or wrong.

Well obviously you have although using idlepc a performance issue. You have packet loss which is in my opinion definitely CPU related. How much Ram do you have?

Start one router...calculate an idlepc value that is really good and the CPU should not have more than 5% with dynamipos when the router is running. When it is booting they always push the CPU to 100%.

Which router type do you use?

I had this issue even with idle PC when using 7200VXRs on my machine (quad core with 8G ram). After adding the 4th router, all cores were 100% same problem. Changed to 3700s, 12 routers everything fine..overall consumption of 30% on a ubuntu machine.

The Idle PC efficiency also depends on the IOS image you use. Which one do you use?

Maybe post your .net file so we can see how many hypervisors you use.

Regards!