QOS---portspeed vs clockrate---

Hi all

Just a questions for those already come accross this question/answer?

As far as I come accross, the portspeed is related to the clockrate!....(for policing/shaping calculations)? are they equal...thus portspeed of 512k need to have clockrate on DCE side set to "clockrate 512000 "

Thus if the question indicate that the portspeed can be assumed to be .... let say 512k...do we need to adjust the clockrate to a similiar value?

commments appreciated!

Comments

• As far as I come accross, the portspeed is related to the clockrate!....(for policing/shaping calculations)? are they equal...thus portspeed of 512k need to have clockrate on DCE side set to "clockrate 512000 "

Thus if the question indicate that the portspeed can be assumed to be .... let say 512k...do we need to adjust the clockrate to a similiar value?

Hi Josua,

Are you referring to "bandwidth" command and "clock rate" command under serial interface mode? Or "speed" command under Ethernet type interface mode? I think the key here is to configure correct bandwidth command under the interface so that QoS can work according to the link speed.

Happy Studying!

• Hi Alex... no not BW command...

I've seen in a couple of SG QOS questions that they refer to the portspeed as "x" amount...... 

the SG in those cases don't adjust the clockrate on the interface to be the same as the  portspeed...and hence my question if they are directly preportional?

the Bandwidth command is only applicable to the HQF(CBWFQ) classes and not the Shaping/policing values.

• the SG in those cases don't adjust the clockrate on the interface to be the same as the  portspeed...and hence my question if they are directly preportional?

In reality, yes. In the lab, I guess we just do whatever it is being asked. In my exp, it was in-sync.

• ok...I'll monitor based on the other tasks I still need to complete ...I'll update as I go along to see if the SG also keep this insync

• Correct - vast majority of time you should keep it in sync, so clock rate should be equal to what the bandwidth is, unless tell otherwise.

Happy studies.