Test environment ?

I have question about test environment:

a. Is there puttyConnection manager ?

b. Is the PC running Win7 or Win XP ?

Prefer Win7 since it has "highlight" feature which will compansate lack of puttyConnection Manager.

c. Do we get few regular papers or 1 whiteboard paper ?

Andi

Comments

• Hi,

a. Is there puttyConnection manager ?

- Individual Putty, when you double click on Router/Swith putty window will be opened

b. Is the PC running Win7 or Win XP ?

Prefer Win7 since it has "highlight" feature which will compansate lack of puttyConnection Manager.

-Windows XP

c. Do we get few regular papers or 1 whiteboard paper ?

- Yes you will get blank papers with some pencil, if you need more you can ask to proctor but at the end you should return all those papers to proctor.

• Thanks nnn.

Just my curiousity, can we come one day early to see the testing room from outside ?  

• AndiS,

You can come to see the building from outside not testing room[:P]

• Quick advice, DON'T BE LATE...so if you are driving to the test center, it is a good idea to go one day before the test to know where it is, if you are taking a taxi, make sure you schedule it in advance. Also, It is always good to stay in a hotel close to the building, so you can avoid traffic jams, etc..

Good luck always :)

• ...so if you are driving to the test center, it is a good idea to go one day before the test to know where it is,

Google Earth definitely can help you on this as well.

• Can i copy paste from putty ?  Highlight it then right click on other putty window/notepad ?

I see blog on RTP side, they said it only give option to paste ALL, not just highlighted one. hope this's not true.

• No, that's not true. In San Jose you will have the ability to do copy and past just by highlighting what you want.

HTH

• Can i copy paste from putty ?  Highlight it then right click on other putty window/notepad ?

I see blog on RTP side, they said it only give option to paste ALL, not just highlighted one. hope this's not true.

No, this is not true, Notepad, calculator, putty etc available. You can paste, what ever you want from Router or to router.

HAPPY STUDY

[:D]

No, this is not true, Notepad, calculator, putty etc available. You can paste, what ever you want from Router or to router.

HAPPY STUDY

Big Smile

There is also a sheet of paper and a bunch of pencils to be used in the lab, if you wish to draw or make any notes. However, you must leave the paper on your desk when living the lab exam, they don't let you carry it away from the lab, for obvious reasons ;)

• How about the proctors for R&S track ?

Are they helpfull in clarifying "smart" question  ?

I hear that we should not expect too much from proctor. They only answer yes/no.

• Andis,

It depends on the location. I have heard good things about the ones in SJ. However, you really need to elaborate your question in such a way that demonstrate that you master the technology and you are only interested in some clarifications on a specific task.

If you know how to ask the question, it shouldn't a problem. The proctors are there to clarify ;)

• The proctors are there to clarify. Don't fish for answers though. Show that you understand the alternatives. One thing to remember though, you can't trust the proctor 100% He could possibly tell you something that is not 100% accurate regarding restrictions etc so you also need to trust yourself.

I don't think this is very likely but I know people that asked proctor and got "fooled" by it. Not saying that the proctor did anything wrong just that they should have known how to solve the task regardless what the proctor answered.

• I agree with Daniel on this.

I don't know about SJ's proctor, but I also heard bad thing about him/her in either IEOC or other forum. Well, this may not be taken as 100% true.

Based on my personal exp at Sydney lab, the proctor was quite friendly. We talked with him during lunch time, of course not about exams but other things.

• When we expect to get the test result ?

I hear most people get it on next morning because it scored by other CCIE lab team on other part of the world.

• When we expect to get the test result ?

Most of the time within midnight of same day except Voice track.

• yes, the grading is done overseas, so you will get it from midnight on, it will depend on the amount of people taking the test on that day, but by mid-day on the other day, you should have it.

• I read some people reload the routers to make sure everything still working.

Is this a good idea if you have time ? Are they going to reload the router before grading the lab ?

• This is definitely a good idea. I would reboot all the routers and switches 2-3 times (if not more) during the lab, it is always good to make sure that you don't lose reachability or any other thing change after a reboot.

Therefore, do save some time to reboot your routers ;0)

• I read some people reload the routers to make sure everything still working.

Is this a good idea if you have time ? Are they going to reload the router before grading the lab ?

Try to execute write mem command frequently on all devices after finished every thing if you have time, reload all devices and verify all task. I did the same during my exam.

HAPPY STUDY

[:D]

• There was one task (in one of my three attempts) that had to be redone after a reload - it had to do with editing an access-list to insert an instance between two already existing instances. I did reload the router when I had plenty of time to redo this task.

I read some people reload the routers to make sure everything still working.

Try to execute write mem command frequently on all devices after finished every thing if you have time, reload all devices and verify all task. I did the same during my exam.

HAPPY STUDY

Big Smile

• Do we have access to "SNMP Object Navigator" to get oid (in case needed in EEM task) ?

• No, OID should be given to you in real exam

• OID (if needed) is given by the task.

• Is there any rule or restriction for :

a. Loopback.

Can we advertise to any Area or IGP if not specified ?

b. RouterID for OSPF/EIGRP/BGP..

Should we manually specified or let it pick by itself ?

c. Static MRoute to resolve RPF failure.

• a)

I would not add any routing if not told to do so. Either it should be already configured or they should specify for you where to add it.

b)

I would not set router-ID unless asked to, theoretically there could be a conflict of router-IDs, at least in the TS section and then I would change it.

c)

I would clarify with proctor. Remember that a mroute is not really a static route, we are not allowed to use static routes but a mroute is not a static route. It is just used for RPF lookup. The alternative to change IGP seems like worse option to me. We could also use MPBGP for RPF lookups if that is an option.

• Here are my toughts on this

a) if you need full reachability on your lab and then don't mention where to adv a specific loopback interface (i.e) I would adv it to a protocol of my choice

b) i usually set the router-ids to avoid problems

c) mroute is not considered a static, so I would say you would rather use mroute other than messing up with your igp

• One note of caution: I did have one lab where static multicast routes were prohibited. For the given tasks there was no need for static mroutes, anyway.

Read the "Do's and Don't's" for your specific lab very carefully...

c) mroute is not considered a static, so I would say you would rather use mroute other than messing up with your igp

• What is the rule for Trouble shooting section ? 

a. Should we MODIFY the parameter/config (whenever possible) instead of DELETING ? 

example :

If the traffic block because of interface access group, we should modify the acl instead of removing the access-group.

or  If the traffic block because of policy rule, we should modify the rule instead of removing the service-policy command on interface.

• Hi AndiS,

In TS section, don't delete any config, try to modify it. Instead of deleting ACL, try to modify, Eg. if seq 10 ACL is blocking your traffic, try to append new ACL in seq 5. 

Good Luck

• Yep, That is the key.  Don't delete config but to modify to make it work.