14.4 - vpnv4 vs ipv4 vrf

some advise please.

I started on the BGP peering tasks with creating ipv4 vrf VPN_A / VPN_B address families with the neighbor peering underneeth them. I used this setup in a VRF light setup in real life before with creating sub interfaces on each BGP neighbor's interace in the specific vrf (can use the same ip address ofc).

The BGP ipv4 vrf address family than does not need the VPN tag (rd) provided by the vpnv4 address family capabilities since the incoming interface is diffrent and makes the diffrentiation between the diffrent vpn's VPN_A and VPN_B.

I guess this would never be allowed as a solution on the exam since I had to create sub-interfaces to get this to work? also this works in the small lab setup used for this task but in a real provider core with a BGP free core there is no place where the vpn tag gets added anymore and no way to diffrentiate between them I guess... so I assume that wont work either?

please advise, thanks

Comments

• > also this works in the small lab setup used for this task but in a real provider core with a BGP free core there is no place where the vpn tag gets added anymore and no way to diffrentiate between them I guess... so I assume that wont work either?

That’s the key difference.  Without the VPNv4 address family, there is no VPN label allocated.  This means that the core of the network must have a route to the destination in order to transit traffic for it.

Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593 (R&S/SP/Security)

[email protected]

Internetwork Expert, Inc.

http://www.INE.com

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of RichardK
    Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 7:43 AM
    To: Brian McGahan
    Subject: [iewb-rs-vol1-v5-mpls] 14.4 - vpnv4 vs ipv4 vrf

some advise please.

I started on the BGP peering tasks with creating ipv4 vrf VPN_A / VPN_B address families with the neighbor peering underneeth them. I used this setup in a VRF light setup in real life before with creating sub interfaces on each BGP neighbor's interace in the specific vrf (can use the same ip address ofc).

The BGP ipv4 vrf address family than does not need the VPN tag (rd) provided by the vpnv4 address family capabilities since the incoming interface is diffrent and makes the diffrentiation between the diffrent vpn's VPN_A and VPN_B.

I guess this would never be allowed as a solution on the exam since I had to create sub-interfaces to get this to work? also this works in the small lab setup used for this task but in a real provider core with a BGP free core there is no place where the vpn tag gets added anymore and no way to diffrentiate between them I guess... so I assume that wont work either?

please advise, thanks

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• ah great , thanks for the help Brian!

I found it hard to find the correct documentation for this exact topic

cheers Richard