IP SLA Question

What is the difference between the following:

ip sla schedule 1 start-time now recurring

ip sla schedule 1 start-time now life forever

Also assume that the sla has a frequency of 600 seconds defined.

I can't wrap my head around it, to me it is the same thing.

Comments

• Think I may have answered my own question.  As per doc-cd the "life" parameter is defined as the number of seconds the operation actively collects information. The default is 3600 seconds (one hour).

Therefore using the recurring keyword, the SLA will kick-off at the start-time now (ie the time that the command was entered) in addition after each operation it will run again every 600 secs.  The SLA will cease operation after an hour and kick-off again the following day.

While using the lifetime command will make the SLA kick-off at the start-time "now" and will run indefinatly.  This SLA will run again every 600 secs and will never cease operation until the command is removed

Sounds right?

• Yes, sounds right.  Defaults as noted 1 hour, current day,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipsla/command/reference/sla_cr_book.pdf

ip sla schedule operation-number [life {forever | seconds}] [start-time {hh:mm[:ss] [month day | day month] | pending | now | after hh:mm:ss}] [ageout seconds] [recurring]
    no ip sla schedule operation-number
    Syntax Description
    Defaults
    The operation is placed in a pending state (that is, the operation is enabled but not actively collecting information).
    Command Modes
    Global configuration
    operation-number
    Number of the IP SLAs operation to schedule.
    life forever
    (Optional) Schedules the operation to run indefinitely.
    life seconds
    (Optional) Number of seconds the operation actively collects information. The default is 3600 seconds (one hour).
    start-time
    (Optional) Time when the operation starts.
    hh:mm[:ss]
    Specifies an absolute start time using hour, minute, and (optionally) second. Use the 24-hour clock notation. For example, start-time 01:02 means “start at 1:02 a.m.,” and start-time 13:01:30 means “start at 1:01 p.m. and 30 seconds.” The current day is implied unless you specify a month and day.
    month
    (Optional) Name of the month to start the operation in. If month is not specified, the current month is used. Use of this argument requires that a day be specified. You can specify the month by using either the full English name or the first three letters of the month.
    day
    (Optional) Number of the day (in the range 1 to 31) to start the operation on. If a day is not specified, the current day is used. Use of this argument requires that a month be specified.
    pending
    (Optional) No information is collected. This is the default value.
    now
    (Optional) Indicates that the operation should start immediately.
    after hh:mm:ss
    (Optional) Indicates that the operation should start hh hours, mm minutes, and ss seconds after this command was entered.
    ageout seconds
    (Optional) Number of seconds to keep the operation in memory when it is not actively collecting information. The default is 0 seconds (never ages out).
    recurring
    (Optional) Indicates that the operation will start automatically at the specified time and for the specified duration every day.