Comments

• I doubt there is any BFD in the exam

• I doubt there is any BFD in the exam

good! :-)

1 less thing to remember...

(i have not even the remotest idea of what it is...i just remrember the new CCNP route book mentions it ...as a side note..hense i asked)

**side side note..think the eigrp metric formula presented in the same book has a typing error...

• I could be wrong so please anyone correct me if I am wrong. 

BFD is to detect a connectivity problem across a link without having to worry the CPU to reply to ping packets. It's pretty fast.

We use it in the field when we have to have a >1Gb lit fibre circuit. BFD allows us to ensure that the router on either end can actually see each other. Noth a problem with dark fibre as if one side goes down the line protocol also goes down. This then allows higher layer protocols to realise a link is down to take action

• I could be wrong so please anyone correct me if I am wrong. 

BFD is to detect a connectivity problem across a link without having to worry the CPU to reply to ping packets. It's pretty fast.

We use it in the field when we have to have a >1Gb lit fibre circuit. BFD allows us to ensure that the router on either end can actually see each other. Noth a problem with dark fibre as if one side goes down the line protocol also goes down. This then allows higher layer protocols to realise a link is down to take action

sounds like UDLD for Layer 3 

• Hi,

BFD is not in the blueprint, not that is such a complicated stuff, but doesn't matter, as long as it's not in.

Good luck with your studies!

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

Routing protocol hellos are CPU-intensive, and can only be set as fast as the IOS will allow.

BFD can track link availability quicker than hellos could possibly sustain, allowing you to use less aggressive hello timers but still have rapid convergence.

It's very useful on any link/media type where line protocol is NOT an indicator of far-end status.  Also for BGP sessions, as the timers can't be set very short.