13.37 TCP Optimization - high performance TCP options?

Guys,

Task requires us to:
- Avoid the TCP "silly window syndrome"
- enable high-performance TCP options
- Set the TCP window size to twice the standard 16 bit maximum value
- Limit the wait time for a TCP SYN response to minimum
- Enable the feature to avoiding fragmentation with TCP sessions
- Hold no more than 16 packets in outgoing TCP queue

SG specifies below config without further explanation: (It just asks us to read RFC 1323 for TCP Extension for High Performance)
service nagle
ip tcp ecn
ip tcp selective-ack
ip tcp timestamp

ip tcp window-size 131070
ip tcp synwait-time 5
ip tcp path-mtu-discovery
ip tcp queuemax 16

Can someone tell me which specific commands are used to "enable high-performance TCP options"?
Is it the one in bold? Or all of them are considered extension for TCP high-performance?
I read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_tuning#TCP_Options_for_High_Performance and my conclusion is all of them are actually part of TCP Options for High-Performance.

TIA

Comments

• All of them are, as also noticed from the RFC.

Good luck with your studies!

• Just for clarity can someone please confirm the following?

1. Avoid TCP 'silly window syndrome' - service nagle

2. Enable high-performance TCP options - ip tcp ecn + ip tcp timestamp + ip tcp selective-ack

The other requirements for this task are self-explanatory.

• 1. Avoid TCP 'silly window syndrome' - service nagle

2. Enable high-performance TCP options - ip tcp ecn + ip tcp timestamp + ip tcp selective-ack

Check this link

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/154786

• Just for clarity can someone please confirm the following?

1. Avoid TCP 'silly window syndrome' - service nagle

The other requirements for this task are self-explanatory.

David,

I fully agree and I think this is a perfect summarization, thanks for putting it together.

Cheers!

• the solution shows config on R1, but I had to set config on both R1 and R6 to get the proper output

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

service nagle
    ip tcp ecn
    ip tcp selective-ack
    ip tcp timestamp

ip tcp window-size 131070
    ip tcp synwait-time 5
    ip tcp path-mtu-discovery
    ip tcp queuemax 16

Can someone tell me which specific commands are used to "enable high-performance TCP options"?
    Is it the one in bold? Or all of them are considered extension for TCP high-performance?

I read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_tuning#TCP_Options_for_High_Performance and my conclusion is all of them are actually part of TCP Options for High-Performance.

I believe it is all of them, not just the bolded (if this task came up in the lab.)

Task's bullet-point:  Enable high-performance TCP options.

The solution's explanation for this task only tells us to....

Refer to RFC 1323 for TCP Extensions for High Performance.

The problem with this, is that we will not have access to the RFC's in the lab -- to reference the combinations of performance parameters)....nor is it Cisco CLI friendly. 

So, just in case I need to jog my memory, this is what I have come up with, using the DOC-CD.

IP Applications Services Configuration (12.4T) -->   Configuring TCP -->    Configuring TCP Performance Parameters

Under this DOC's sub-heading, all of the INE solution's parameters are listed.  There is an extra parameter listed (chunk-size), but the DOC-CD says ,   We do not recommend that you change this value.

The only other thing I can think of, is if there is a difference between the Cisco DOC title TCP Performance Parameters   and the RFC  TCP Extensions for High Peformance.