Is Dynamips better or GNS3

Hi Experts,

I am trying to setup the virtual lab to be able to start working on INE work book Volume I. I have searched and came across very good posts in INE website from the older posts about both Dynamips and GNS3. I was wondering which one is better. I have heard that since we can exactly upload the IOS version code that we are looking for our devices in GNS3, GNS3 can support more commands compared with Dynamips. I wanted to get your feedback.

The second thing, I see that there is Dynamips version of Lab available for Workbook Volume I. I have purchased the digital access to Workbooks but I don't see any option saying "Dynampis Version of work book Volume I". I wanted to check if this option is available at all or I am missing something.

The third thing is that I would like to choose the one that is better with the knowledge that I will be using Windows 7 as my operating system and my system hardware should be able to support this emulator program.

Thank you for your feedback.

Comments

• Sorry, I forgot also to mention & switching track. I wold not know that would have mattered. Thank you.

• Hi Ellie,

GNS3 is just the GUI of dynamips and can't do that comparison, so with Dynamips you can use Dynagen which is the CLI interface for dynamips or GNS3 which is the GUI interface for dynamips. And some resources below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamips

http://www.ine.com/resources/iosonpc.htm

Regarding the WorkBooks up to this moment there is only a Dynamips version for WB Vol.2 but you can still use Dynamips practice scenarios from other WBs.

Hi Experts,

I am trying to setup the virtual lab to be able to start working on INE work book Volume I. I have searched and came across very good posts in INE website from the older posts about both Dynamips and GNS3. I was wondering which one is better. I have heard that since we can exactly upload the IOS version code that we are looking for our devices in GNS3, GNS3 can support more commands compared with Dynamips. I wanted to get your feedback.

The second thing, I see that there is Dynamips version of Lab available for Workbook Volume I. I have purchased the digital access to Workbooks but I don't see any option saying "Dynampis Version of work book Volume I". I wanted to check if this option is available at all or I am missing something.

The third thing is that I would like to choose the one that is better with the knowledge that I will be using Windows 7 as my operating system and my system hardware should be able to support this emulator program.

Thank you for your feedback.

• Hi Rootsimba,

Thank you for your reply. I also had heard that GNS3 is GUI version of Dynamips. I think we need both of them installed in this case. probably we need to have GNS3 to have routers/switches and be able to upload IOS on these devices. Then we need Dynamips in order to run any commands. Does Dynamips support all the commands necessary to work on Workbook Volume I  based on your experience. Would I need to install both GNS3 and Dynamips in order to have fully functional lab.

Thanks

• Thats right Ellie and the link that I sent you gives you more information about Dynamips / Dynagem / GNS3 as well as INE's topology for Dynamips. Please do a little more research on it before starting using Dynamips as one of your learning tool, there were a bunch of discussion on this same matter here on IEOC and they following link will guide there: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=site:ieoc.com+dynamips&oq=site:ieoc.com+dynamips&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=870l8434l0l8747l28l27l1l17l0l0l347l1360l2-4.1l5l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=b86cb8ec22003569&biw=1179&bih=699

Hi Rootsimba,

Thank you for your reply. I also had heard that GNS3 is GUI version of Dynamips. I think we need both of them installed in this case. probably we need to have GNS3 to have routers/switches and be able to upload IOS on these devices. Then we need Dynamips in order to run any commands. Does Dynamips support all the commands necessary to work on Workbook Volume I  based on your experience. Would I need to install both GNS3 and Dynamips in order to have fully functional lab.

Thanks

• Great. Thank you very much Rootsimba for your suggestion. I will start doing research using those links. Thanks again.