CCIE #5197

I work for Cisco and I got my R&S back in 1999 but I was stupid and let it expire in 2006.  I used to be a BGP developer and after several years of doing BGP fulltime, passing the recert every two years was becoming more and more of a chore.  That combined with a case of burnout led to my stupidity in letting my CCIE completely expire :(

Anyway, in early 2010 took a job in the CPOC lab (Customer Proof Of Concept) in RTP and decided I wanted to get my CCIE again since I was more customer facing in my new job.  The INE practice labs were a HUGE help in getting my CCIE again!  I ended up doing 12 of the practice labs and reading through the other 8.  I passed back in March but forgot to post here...I felt like I should post something since the labs were so good.

Here are my CCIE words of wisdom:

- Learn how to type...I mean really type, not hunt and peck type with two fingers.  You are so pressed for time in the config section that being able to type quickly and accurately will be a huge help.  Take a month off from studying networking and go through some online typing tutorials.  Even after the lab is over think of how useful this skill will be.

- Develop tricks for saving time like using the interface range command, use the same port-channel #s and use BGP peer-groups so you can cut-n-paste  configs between routers, etc, etc.

- Don't try to learn every little thing you see on the practice exams.  If there is some topic like "configure user-groups so that Fred can only enter 'sh ip route' every other Tuesday" that only crops up one or two times on the INE practice labs just skip it.  You could spend a ton of time studying all of these corner case topics that you will probably never see and if you do get one of these you are only out 2 or 3 points.   I say spend that time on the core stuff that you are more likely to see.

The lab is much harder now than it was 12 years ago despite it only
being one day long instead of two.  When it was two days you configured
everything from scratch right down to setting up the termservers....you
knew that network inside and out by the time you got to the
troubleshooting on day two.  The troubleshooting in today's lab is more
realistic (how often do you build the network you are troubleshooting in
the real world entirely yourself?) but that also makes it more
difficult.  In terms of the config part I think you are much more
pressed for time in today's lab than the old lab.

Comments

• Congratulations!  

Brian Dennis, CCIEx5 #2210 (R&S/ISP-Dial/Security/SP/Voice)

Internetwork Expert, Inc.

Reply-To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 19:00:54 -0500
    To: Brian Dennis <[email protected]>
    Subject: [success] CCIE #5197

I work for Cisco and I got my R&S back in 1999 but I was stupid and let it expire in 2006.  I used to be a BGP developer and after several years of doing BGP fulltime, passing the recert every two years was becoming more and more of a chore.  That combined with a case of burnout led to my stupidity in letting my CCIE completely expire :(

Anyway, in early 2010 took a job in the CPOC lab (Customer Proof Of Concept) in RTP and decided I wanted to get my CCIE again since I was more customer facing in my new job.  The INE practice labs were a HUGE help in getting my CCIE again!  I ended up doing 12 of the practice labs and reading through the other 8.  I passed back in March but forgot to post here...I felt like I should post something since the labs were so good.

Here are my CCIE words of wisdom:

- Learn how to type...I mean really type, not hunt and peck type with two fingers.  You are so pressed for time in the config section that being able to type quickly and accurately will be a huge help.  Take a month off from studying networking and go through some online typing tutorials.  Even after the lab is over think of how useful this skill will be.

- Develop tricks for saving time like using the interface range command, use the same port-channel #s and use BGP peer-groups so you can cut-n-paste  configs between routers, etc, etc.

- Don't try to learn every little thing you see on the practice exams.  If there is some topic like "configure user-groups so that Fred can only enter 'sh ip route' every other Tuesday" that only crops up one or two times on the INE practice labs just skip it.  You could spend a ton of time studying all of these corner case topics that you will probably never see and if you do get one of these you are only out 2 or 3 points.   I say spend that time on the core stuff that you are more likely to see.

The lab is much harder now than it was 12 years ago despite it only
    being one day long instead of two.  When it was two days you configured
    everything from scratch right down to setting up the termservers....you
    knew that network inside and out by the time you got to the
    troubleshooting on day two.  The troubleshooting in today's lab is more
    realistic (how often do you build the network you are troubleshooting in
    the real world entirely yourself?) but that also makes it more
    difficult.  In terms of the config part I think you are much more
    pressed for time in today's lab than the old lab.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.ine.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • Great !!! Congratulation 

heartly Welcome Back to CCIE World 

• Congratulations dwalton76!

Thank you for sharing

• Congratulations!!!

Good to see cert number between two [email protected] ccie cert.

Hope we will not forget to renew our CCIE cert once we get it!!!!!!

Regards,

• Thanks for the valuable information you have there :)

congratulation on your rebirth in CCIE :P

• Dwalton76,

Congratulation and well done, and of course welcome back!!!

• Congrats![Y]

• Congratulations !!!

[Y][Y][Y][Y]

thank you for sharing your tips and tricks

• That reminds me, I just got an email from Cisco saying that mine expires in January J  I can’t believe it’s been 10 years already!

dwalton76 – Congratulations on passing the lab exam… again!  I’m glad we were able to help you accomplish your goal. 

Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593 (R&S/SP/Security)

[email protected]

Internetwork Expert, Inc.

http://www.INE.com

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of scrlk
    Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:36 AM
    To: Brian McGahan
    Subject: Re: [success] CCIE #5197

Great !!! Congratulation 

heartly Welcome Back to CCIE World 

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.ine.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• dwalton76 - Congratz for a second success at the R&S Lab Exam! I think you call that renewing the hard way! I'm glad I only had to take another Written Exam.

Brian McGahan - Congratz for 10 years coming up!

• Congratulations on your past and recent successes.  The tips are very helpful as well.  I joke with my coworkers that I probably won;t fail the lab because I don't know the technologies.  I'll probably fail the lab because I am keyboard challenged. [:O]  Great advice.

Take care.

Erick

• Congratulation for your Success !!!