13.3 Alternative

Could I have used the syntax

int fa0/0

ip dhcp client client-id ascii 0014.f2d6.c820

Instead of using the interface directly.  From my debug, it appeared to show the same DHCPRequest from that client ID

Matt

Comments

• Thanks for sharing

I tested using below alternative configuration and it is working in the same way:

int f0/0
     ip dhcp client client-id ascii mac-address
     ip address dhcp

or

int f0/0
     ip dhcp client client-id f0/0
     ip address dhcp

• Hi,

I say yes to this option, cause it accomplishes the same scope. However, wihtin the scope of the question, i would still use the SG proposed solution, so the client-id is based off the MAC address, whatever the MAC is or may be.

Good luck with your studies!

• However, wihtin the scope of the question, i would still use the SG proposed solution, so the client-id is based off the MAC address, whatever the MAC is or may be.

Christian,

All solutions meet the requirement: "The DHCP client-id should be based off of the MAC address of the interface connecting to VLAN 146"

Why would you prefer SG solution instead the other two alternatives?

• It is just a matter of interpretation; again i agree that both solutions satisfy 100% requirements. But baed on the task statement and in real life as well(although hard to have this in real life scenario) i would no specify the exact MAC address, but let the router take it.

Good luck with your studies!

• Okay, I agree with you. In this case the one that matches closer to SG is the 2nd one:

int f0/0
     ip address dhcp

SG solution:
    int f0/0
     ip address dhcp client-id F0/0

• I used that one as well:

Good to have options in case there are restrictions in lab :)

• int f0/0
     ip address dhcp

SG solution:
    int f0/0

Both the solutions are serving the same purpose however in first solution is making default client-id based on the mac-address even if "ip address dhcp" is used to obtained the ip address. By default "ip address dhcp" uses a long string hex number as client-id. 

• int f0/0
     ip address dhcp

SG solution:
    int f0/0

Both the solutions are serving the same purpose however in first solution is making default client-id based on the mac-address even if "ip address dhcp" is used to obtained the ip address. By default "ip address dhcp" uses a long string hex number as client-id. 

That's correct, but wouldn't the Student Guide solution (ip address dhcp
    client-id
    ) achieve the same thing? That is changing the client-id from
    the long hex string to a mac-address based one? Reading the
    documentation it seems that both commands accomplish essentially
    the same thing. It just seems that the ip dhcp client client-id was introduced later on 12.3(8)T whereas the ip address dhcp client-id was introduced back on 12.1(3)T 1972 Vietnam.

!

! Command Reference:

ip dhcp client client-id

!

!

! Command Reference

ip address dhcp

!